Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

thumping noise after installing adj. panhard rod

Old 03-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WeinerDog
Got a deal on eBay this past weekend for a brand new Steeda PHB and brace, shipped for $150. I installed them last night...totally quiet. If anyone wants a UMI #1054 PHB, I'll sell cheap, I recommend you try larger bolts as Rubrignitz suggests.

Side note. It's somewhat eye-opening how much the stock bar flexes compared to both the UMI and Steeda units. And I don't know how much stress is on the stock brace but it is unbelievably flimsy.
Im Not sure if what I hear is related? I just noticed you have a different UMI bar than I, was the noise coming from the poly end or the roto end? I have roto on both ends of my bar, (umi 1055) Its tight, I cant move it by hand and get any slop out of it.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:37 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Well, the noise is back. It's not nearly as bad as it was with the UMI PHB but it is very annoying. It was totally quiet with the Steeda bar/brace until just a couple days ago. How could this be?

Seems to come from the passenger side. I crawled under and shook the bar but unlike with the UMI bar, I can't hear anything when I do that. Everything is still tightened down.

Anybody know where I can get bolts like Rubrignitz suggested? Would a normal hardware store stock them?

I would much rather live with the wimpy stock bar and the 1/4" offset axle than this noise!
Old 04-16-2010, 05:18 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Do what I did...pull your panhard off, have someone drive you down to Lowe's where they have an assortment of Grade 8 hardware, walk in with the part and fit the bolts to the holes. Pick up about 6 washers per end so you can shim if the shoulders are a bit too long (mine were). Also get two nuts per side and double them up for a secure lock. It'll cost you about $10-15 for the hardware and well worth it.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:05 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Thanks Rub. I am probably going to do what you said, but I did determine that I was wrong. "Upon further review" the nut for the adjustment on the chassis side had come loose. My bad for not using thread locker. I tightened it up and all is silent once again.

Going to take it off again tomorrow and thread locker that biatch good. I wish the Steeda bar was only adjustable on one side...

BTW, any issues with your 275's on the front? I'm going with 19x9.5's with 275/40's all around next week. I see you have the bumpsteer kit...
Old 04-16-2010, 08:23 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I know what you mean about the adjustment, I have a double adjustable UMI rod-end panhard in my garage that's a pita to adjust. I really need to sell off some of the old parts accumulating in the garage but everyone wants you to give them away (i.e. $80 shipped for a $150 'like new' panhard). I should have taken them all to that austin, tx mustang cruise last week and had a swap meet lol.

I did have some darting issues with the 275/40's on 18x9.5'' rims but worked it out with alignment adjustments. I had a slight toe-out and high negative camber. Once I had it reset to -.08 toe-in and a more resonable -.8 camber everything is solid as a rock up there, even with the large hotchkis swaybar I'm running. I've just about worked out every single annoyance with this car, something I've been trying to do for 2 years! I work too much to spend a lot of time on the car...my weekends fly by.

As for the bumpsteer kit, I just add spacers as needed to align the tie-rods with the control arms depending on what springs I happen to be running. I had it professionally set once but keep jacking around with different springs and playing with different settings so I know what works now.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:41 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WeinerDog
Thanks Rub. I am probably going to do what you said, but I did determine that I was wrong. "Upon further review" the nut for the adjustment on the chassis side had come loose. My bad for not using thread locker. I tightened it up and all is silent once again.

Going to take it off again tomorrow and thread locker that biatch good. I wish the Steeda bar was only adjustable on one side...
The jam nut on the passenger's side of the bar is difficult to impossible to tighten on-car. With the length set, you can always drop that side and tighten (with blue thread locker applied) then re-install and torque down both ends to spec. It's much easier to drop the panhard bar end if you first loosen the panhard brace bolt ... but you probably already know that having changed it out a few times.

Last edited by 6-Speed; 04-16-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:07 AM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Thanks again Rub.

6-Speed, you are exactly right, that is the procedure I have "learned". Hopefully, the next time (today) will be the last time!

One more question guys: The Loc-Tite says it takes 24 hours to fully cure. Should I park the car that long? Or at all?

Last edited by WeinerDog; 04-17-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:09 PM
svtwin

I had a problem with noise after I installed my Edelbrock Adj PHB, found out that it wasn't perfectly centered. After adjusting it, I have not had a noise