Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Overheating on the track and radiator question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by EdwardGT
Sorry to hijack Houston's thread but I had a question. What sort of speeds do you hit at your tracks? I've been thinking of getting a chin spoiler; but someone here had a CDC one that started dragging at speeds over 120 in just a couple of laps.

Thanks,
Edward
I'm running the CDC classic front spoiler and installed it myself.

So far no problems after four or five events at Mosport where we hit up to 130 MPH.

I got it to help keep the front down and to force more air into the rad/intercooler/brakes.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:04 PM
ym42
2nd Gear Member

Would running straight water damage your water pump? I heard somewhere that the antifreeze lubricates the bearings? I personally doubt that but just had to ask...
Old 07-31-2009, 02:53 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ym42
Would running straight water damage your water pump? I heard somewhere that the antifreeze lubricates the bearings? I personally doubt that but just had to ask...
That's BS. I don't remember offhand if Water Wetter contains rust inhibitors though, which coolant does.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:54 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ym42
That's BS. I don't remember offhand if Water Wetter contains rust inhibitors though, which coolant does.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:20 PM
ym42
2nd Gear Member

Well, on the WW bottle it says to run minimum 15% antifreeze in street cars, and it mentioned lubricating the water pump seals, so I guess straight water would not do it...
Old 08-07-2009, 08:36 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I had the same issues when it was hot outside. The next event I drained the radiator, added water and water wetter. Helped a touch, but still had temps rise 3/4 on the gauge. taking it easy on the straights would bring the temp down temporarily.
I'm hoping the new front fascia will help some.
Cowl hood did not seem to help either.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

I had the same problem at the Autobahn Country Club about two months ago. I flushed the coolant, new stat (160), and went with a CDC grille to let in more air. I just came back from Road America where I had no overheating problems at all.

One point I think worth mentioning is the driver mod. I too changed my driving for the Autobahn, and I think for the worse. At the Autobahn I was spending a ton of time around 6,000 rpm and above (similar tune upgrade) thinking it was making me faster. I've since learned it most certainly doesn't and only stresses the engine. This weekend I was shifting for peak performance and rarely saw the far side of 6K (naturally aspirated and with stock cams, our engines just don't make their power there, regardless of tune). Temp gauge never went past 1/2 way and it was in the mid 90s.

Best,
-j
Old 08-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Good info J. were you running the full 3.51 mile course? Was it with MVP track times?
Thats who I usually do my track days there with.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Hey Stoenr. Yeah, I went out with MVP. Great organization, nicely run event. I'm doing Blackhawk with them in about a month. Will you be there?

BTW, your car is looking MEAN!

Best,
-j
Old 08-10-2009, 06:24 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Thanks. I had to take this year off due to cash flow.
I would have needed new tires and brakes, they weren't in this years budget.
Last year the tires were brand new and the one day event took care of about 25% of the tread, lol. Mostly on the edges.
Mark is a great guy, and its cool that they have instructors to go with you if you want.

Quick Reply: Overheating on the track and radiator question