Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Not your usual MGW installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 10:23 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Default Not your usual MGW installation

Posted here because it's mostly of interest to road course driving and not something that most street or drag enthusiasts would be apt to do.

It's been a long time coming, but I needed to have a clear need for it first (which came at my latest track day).

Like other mods I've done, there was a bit of custom tweaking involved. Being an easy street and HPDE driver rather than a drag racer, I'd rather have easier effort and as little notchiness as possible to go with the accuracy than a shorter throw. Picking up from MGW's video about the shorter throws tending to be notchier, I extended the lever a bit to reduce it, and from an shift-effort point of view came out rather well if I do say so myself. The proof will be in the upcoming TNiA at NJMP a week from today. Eventually I'll probably cover the exposed metal bits up, but that's not a priority item - I don't see them even when I'm driving the car easy around town.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 09-05-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:52 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I did that to mine as well. Makes it easier to reach from the steering wheel
Old 09-08-2017, 07:22 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Yes, I find there's noticeably less hand movement to get to the shift lever and back to the steering wheel. Wonder if the reach to the shifters in my other two cars will start feeling "too far"???

I did cobble up a cover for the metal bits from the split corrugated tubing that usually used for wiring and some grey duct tape (that almost matches the rest of the grey in the interior). Made a bigger difference in the amount of cabin noise than I'd have ever expected, so it's staying.

Norm
Old 09-08-2017, 08:45 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Awesome little write up there Norm!