Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Track rotors for GT500 14" brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 01:56 PM
zero2sixd
1st Gear Member

Default Track rotors for GT500 14" brakes

So, a few months ago I picked up a set of the GT500 calipers to eventually replace my stock GT brakes. Now I'm trying to address the other half of that equation, the rotors. It doesn't appear that I have many options for GT500 rotors (at least for open track use).

I'm inclined to just stick with the Ford OE rotors, but thought I might ask around here to see if anybody had experience with anything else like the DBA 4000s, for instance? I read quite a few poor reviews of the DBA 4000 series on the TireRack site. It seems that a number of people experienced hairline or even substantial cracks after track use and were going back to the OE rotors.

FWIW, I've been pretty happy with the stock GT rotors with respect to durability, although I think the fact that I ducted them after my first track day really helped their longevity.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:09 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

I think you will be fine with the OE Ford ones, I just dont know how much the 14" rotors cost. I put them into that "price to play" or cosumable catagory, kinda like gas, tires, brake pads. You are going to spend for these items, no way to cut that cost out.

I would worry about the portioning with the bigger calipers up front. All of your brake fluid will go to the fronts which feels great for the street bling guys but for the track guys that might be something to keep in mind. Although I think Sleeper_08 has them on his car, maybe you want to shoot him a PM and see what he does about rotors.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jayel579
I think you will be fine with the OE Ford ones, I just dont know how much the 14" rotors cost. I put them into that "price to play" or cosumable catagory, kinda like gas, tires, brake pads. You are going to spend for these items, no way to cut that cost out.

I would worry about the portioning with the bigger calipers up front. All of your brake fluid will go to the fronts which feels great for the street bling guys but for the track guys that might be something to keep in mind. Although I think Sleeper_08 has them on his car, maybe you want to shoot him a PM and see what he does about rotors.
I can save you a PM. Last year I ran the stock rotors that came in the FRPP GT500 kit (M-2300-S). Wear was good after 6 track days but to be safe I ordered a pair of Centric replacement rotors for this year. So far after 5 track days wear is also good on the Centric rotors which came from;

http://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/

They are good guys to deal with.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:49 PM
EdwardGT
1st Gear Member

Your cheapest solution would be to invest in some brake cooling. There's a guy over on corner carvers that sells direct, bolt-on dust shields with a fitting for 3" cooling hose.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:00 PM
zero2sixd
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jayel579
It's a possibility. Just eyeball-ing the piston diameters, I would have to say there is more piston surface area on the Brembos. I suppose it follows that more fluid would be required to move them a given distance than the OE two-pot calipers. But I don't profess to know enough about how the entire system works (including the proportioning) to say one way or the other. I should be able to provide some decent subjective feedback on the differences here shortly. I found the OE brake setup to be very stable under heavy braking with the Hawk Blue pads.

When I take the old calipers off, I'll measure the piston diameters just for grins.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

I've been tracking with the stock rears and the GT500 fronts now for over 11 track days My car is a little heavier in the front than a stock GT due to the weight of the SC. intercooler and fluid but so far the front/rear bias seems OK.

If anything, right now I am more concerned about too much rear braking when pulling her down from 130+.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:07 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
I've been tracking with the stock rears and the GT500 fronts now for over 11 track days My car is a little heavier in the front than a stock GT due to the weight of the SC. intercooler and fluid but so far the front/rear bias seems OK.

If anything, right now I am more concerned about too much rear braking when pulling her down from 130+.
Do the GT500's even have different rear calipers or proportioning then a GT? I do think it has to have some effect having the bigger front calipers without changing the proportioning; though I have no personal experience. Thats why I suggested to contact Sleeper. I am just basing my comments off of pure logic.

Some of the MaxQ data I have from more then a few autocross runs has me generating more then 1g in braking force with stock pads. Too much rear bias seems interesting, I wonder why.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:26 PM
EdwardGT
1st Gear Member

FYI, GT500's have different brake boosters and master cylinders.