Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Toyo Proxes R-888 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Default Toyo Proxes R-888 Tires

I just read this article about the Toyo Proxes R-888 tires and was wondering if anyone is using them on their Mustang.

http://www.wheels.ca/newsFeatures/article/781386

The available sizes are here -

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/proxes-r888

It looks like the 275/40ZR18 would be the best combination of width, overall diameter and recommended rim size for my car.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:07 AM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

I don't have them, my brother has them on his E30. I had the previous generation tire, RA-1. From what I have read and what my brother has experienced compared to mine with the RA-1s is the R888 is not the same tire even though guys are trying to treat as they are. The R888 has to be run at a little bit higher psi the the RA-1 and the R888 isn't as consistent through the life of the tire. They do have a little bit of fall off when the heat cycles get high on them. Overall they are a great tire, faster with more grip then the RA-1 at there peak but not as consistent to the chords as the RA-1
Old 08-15-2009, 10:19 AM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

I'm using them this year, and I don't like them. As soon as possible, I'll get rid of them. Last season I ran the Khumo V710's.

The R888's don't last as long. If you're carefull you can get one season out of them. When they get hot, they get really greasy. I know I have to make my fast lap early in the session, as they will fall off quickly on a hot day. Once they get hot, they're gone. The car will really plow through the corners. And, they'll leave a rubber trail behind you after a hot lap. Lot's of chunks fall off.

NASA is going back to the RA-1's as a spec tire. The R888's just don't perform or last like they should. The RA-1's will be pretty consistant until they cord.

I think next year I'll try a set of shaved RA-1's. Unless I can get a good deal on some V710's.

By all accounts, the Hoosier R6 is an excellent tire. Pretty expensive, though.
=
Old 08-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I have not tried them but I have talked to at least 20 guys at the track who have. The opinions are all over the map, more so than any other tire I've heard of. What Jason said is what I've heard numerous times: good grip but short life, require higher psi and stink in the rain. Not only NASA but did you see Spec Miata class, who switched to the 888s this year is going back to the RA-1s also? So many complaints about them. For these reasons I'm going to stay away.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:10 AM
EdwardGT
1st Gear Member

Interesting topic. I've been contemplating switching over to something longer lasting than the R6's that I'm running, i.e. R888's. I'm told they last twice as long as R6's. I've never run R888's; but the difference between RA1's and R6's is obvious. However, the R6's are not forgiving at all. I flatspotted a brand new tire on my first session out going braking too late into a corner a just momentarily locking up a corner. Hopefully more folks can chime in with their experience.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:52 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

I tried out my buddy's set and didn't care for them. They can be made to work well, but require a very smooth driver. You can overdrive them very easily. By all accounts they don't have the consistently or longevity of the RA-1. It is also a problem to have them shaved because of the shoulder design. It takes a shaver that REALLY knows what they are doing, or they can ruin the tires.

Of all the tires i've run on I can't say enough about the Nitto NT-01. They last forever and are very consistent. They are real sticky for 5-6 heat cycles, and then fall off very slowly until you hit the cords. I've put over 70 heat cycles on a set before!
Old 08-16-2009, 09:28 AM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RodeoFlyer
They can be made to work well, but require a very smooth driver. You can overdrive them very easily.
Yeah, I should have said this as well. Hence probably why my brother has had great success with his tires. Driving a momentum car, like an E30 or Miata, you have to be a smooth driver. Every ounce of speed counts. I found I could be careless with my RA-1s and get away with it, almost to the point where that is how they need to be driven. Can't do that with the R888.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RodeoFlyer
I tried out my buddy's set and didn't care for them. They can be made to work well, but require a very smooth driver. You can overdrive them very easily.
Sounds like they are not the tire for me.

After my last track day having my mirrors full of r comped rice rockets on the corners I'm seriously considering up grading the KDW2s for next season but guess I'll keep looking. The Nitto's sound interesting.

Last edited by Sleeper_08; 08-16-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

I haven't tried Toyo's R-888s, and I only spoke to one guy who has (similar comment, "they can get greasy").

I am running Toyo's R1R, and I am currently very happy. In my first event with them (w/only 500 miles on them), I detected a bit of a greasy feeling but that could have been due to a variety of stupid things I was doing that day. At my next event (Road America w/over 1,000 miles on the tires), they were outstanding in both the dry and the rain. I'm looking forward to the next event to really test their limits.

Best,
-j
Old 08-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
Sounds like they are not the tire for me.

After my last track day having my mirrors full of r comped rice rockets on the corners I'm seriously considering up grading the KDW2s for next season but guess I'll keep looking. The Nitto's sound interesting.
Colin - I have a lot of time on both the NT01 and the Nitto 555R2. I'll 2nd Rodeo's opinion the the NT01, they are a super DE tire. The 555R2 is also very good. They have a more street oriented tread pattern with the same 100 treadwear ratting. Very durable and predictable. A little louder than a normal street tire on the highway but not bad. I'm happy using either one. Both of these are better track tires than the KDWs.

Quick Reply: Toyo Proxes R-888 Tires