Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

HT 10 ? and ROTOR ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 08:45 PM
2nd Gear Member

Default HT 10 ? and ROTOR ?

You guys who are using HT10 FRONT pads-
How much actual track time are you getting prior to needing repacement?

When its time to replace the front rotors are you just going OEM again ( cheap at $60/set for new take offs) or are you upgrading to something better??

THANKS!
Old 08-23-2009, 07:06 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I got about 10 track days out of my fronts and they probably could have gone another. Those were my first 10 events so I wasn't all that hard on them (I'm much harder on brakes now a days).

Until you eventually upgrade to a BBK the OE quality rotors are your best bet. Rotors are consumables, just like pads. You are probably already getting spider cracks in them. The cracks will get big enough so that your fingernail catches when you slide it across the surface, when that happens its time to replace. It would be a good idea to get a set of fronts now and take them with you to the track so that if you do crack one (as in crack it all the way thru) you have a replacement.

Also be advised - there are some differing opinions on this but many folks say rotors need seasoning before hard use. In other words they need some street miles on them to heat them up and cool them easily before really getting on them. So if/when you get replacements, put them on the car for a bit before hitting the track.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:08 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Oh by the way - Watkins Glen rocks. That is one heck of a track. I was there last week. There must have been six S197s there, the most I've ever seen at an event. There was a classic pony circa 65 or 66 and a couple Ford GTs. And about 10-15 corvettes giving all the Fords are hard time. Here is a photo:

Last edited by Argonaut; 08-23-2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
Oh by the way - Watkins Glen rocks. That is one heck of a track. I was there last week. There must have been six S197s there, the most I've ever seen at an event. There was a classic pony circa 65 or 66 and a couple Ford GTs. And about 10-15 corvettes giving all the Fords are hard time. Here is a photo:
So now you really have to come out and try Mosport
Old 08-23-2009, 05:45 PM
2nd Gear Member

I get what you are saying about rotors being consumables( yes spider cracks already) BUT my question is would slotted rotors significantly improve pad life? Enough to warrant the extra cost?
PS Any more track days at the Glen planned, Argo?
Old 08-23-2009, 06:39 PM
2nd Gear Member

+1 Watkins Glen
Attached Thumbnails HT 10 ? and ROTOR ?-gt.jpg  
Old 08-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

Getting ready for Calabogie next weekend. Here are my rotors after 17 track days, about 16,000 total miles and one resurfacing. I think they were ready to go:

The grooves came from the EBC Yellowstuff pads as they ate themselves up at the end of the first day of a two day event at Grattan Raceway in July (6th track day on the pads, pushing it i know...). I pitched the front pads at the track and limped the second day with old HPS' on the front and street tires (corded the Nittos on Saturday as well). Here are the backs:

They started crumbling due to overheating and the fronts looked worse.

Here are the Cobalt Friction pads I put on for the upcoming weekend (XR 2 front, XR 4 back):

One thing, you have to order the anti-rattle springs specifically on the front pads. I didn't know that ahead of time so we'll see if it sounds like a hoopty as the pads wear.

I have some new freshly machined rotors from New Takeoff for the front and I machined the rears so there was no organic material on the rotors. Even though they say no bedding is necessary, I took the car for a spin to check the grip of the new brakes and to begin conditioning the front rotors. I plan on driving the car a couple times this week and they'll get plenty of use going through Toronto this Friday I imagine...

Having never used the Hawk Blues or the HT 10's, I can't compare them as far as grip goes but they are on par or have more grip than the cars at Miller Motorsports Park I drove in June. A real light touch on the brake pedal is all that is needed to come to a brisk halt. I'm going to have to learn to heel/toe all over again to keep from being thrown out the front window in the braking zones. I was also impressed with their cold performance too. When they say 100 to 1600 deg F, them mean it. We'll see how long they last...

Watkins Glen and Mid-Ohio are on my list of places to go someday... The owner of 3Balls Racing (my track group) is going to run Mosport Monday after the weekend atCalabogie so maybe we'll do a day there next year (I hope).

Last edited by Red06; 08-23-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:56 PM
2nd Gear Member

where are you getting Cobalt friction pads ? Cost?
Did you just go OEM on the replacement rotors?
Old 08-24-2009, 08:46 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I get what you are saying about rotors being consumables( yes spider cracks already) BUT my question is would slotted rotors significantly improve pad life? Enough to warrant the extra cost?
PS Any more track days at the Glen planned, Argo?
I'm running slotted rotors right now for the first time (on the Vette) so I will be able to tell you if they improve pad life in a couple months. However...I doubt it. From what I have heard the only ways to improve pad life are: change pads (some last longer than others, the HT-10s seemed to me to last a long time); use street tires (when/if you switch to R-comps they eat brakes) or get a bigger pad (more thickness or bigger area), but you can only do this with a change in caliper (i.e. big brake kit). I probably will not be back to the Glen this year...unless you know of any mid-Sept two day events?
So now you really have to come out and try Mosport
Darn right I need to get up there, but its a long haul, about 8 hrs. What I need to do is find a 2 day a WGI and then another event at Mosport a couple days later, make a HPDE tour of it.
Getting ready for Calabogie next weekend. Here are my rotors after 17 track days, about 16,000 total miles and one resurfacing
From what I have heard, Calabogie is about as good as it gets. Take some pictures and give us a nice write up! 17 track days and your rotors look that good...wow. Was that all with the EBC pads? I'll bet with the Cobalt pads and sticky tires (which do you run?) you would not get anywhere close to that. I've cracked a rotor clean thru on the Vette twice, and neither of them had more than 8 days on them. By the way, I've seen pictures of the Yellowstuff falling apart like that before. They don't seem to be up to serious track use.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

In response to a few of the above posts

Ditto on the EBC Yellowstuff not being up to serious track use. My rears were down to the steel on one side after 4 track days and the fronts were more than 1/2 done. They were quiet on the street however. Now running Hawk HP+.

So far I've run stock rotors, GT500 on the front, and a set of Centric rotors. No signs of cracking in either.

I keep thinking about going to Calbogie but not this year.

Red06 - I'm also at Mosport Aug 31 and Sep 1 for this event being organized by the SVTOA and Track Guys

http://www.svtoaontrack.ca/

What is your your organizer driving? I'll keep my eye open for him/her.

Quick Reply: HT 10 ? and ROTOR ?