Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Lowering/exhaust dilemma.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 12:25 PM
kechke

The time line for this issue was partly because the car is driven only occaisionally and also I'm in Canada with a short driving season and I am out of the country quite a bit.

The situation was finally resolved but certainly not with any help from Pypes or Newtakeoff. Both companies refused to take ownership of the midpipes being out of specification.

I ended up using a set of GT Ford mid pipes and now have plenty of axel to pipe clearance.
Below are some pictures I took of the garbage that was in the Newtakeoff/Pypes kit. The miopic tech boys at Pypes still say they have a product that works.

The last photo is Joe Da Silva holding the Ford pipe beside the Pypes part for comparison. Joe is very well known in Mustang tuning and drag circles. He even tried to talk to Pypes teckkies for me about the problem and they blew him off for intervening, some customer service they have.

There is a 3 inch difference in the rise between the Ford and Pypes part, you gotta be dumber than a bag of hammers not to see that something is aint right.

Any one with a lowered Mustang should seriously reconsider using that system.

Last edited by kechke; 01-08-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:22 AM
chrumck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kechke
[...]

There is a 3 inch difference in the rise between the Ford and Pypes part, you gotta be dumber than a bag of hammers not to see that something is aint right.

Any one with a lowered Mustang should seriously reconsider using that system.
I've been through that myself and I managed to massage the Pypes mid pipes so they fit. The point is, it's totally not worth it. It's much better to stick to OE mid pipes.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Well, the above proves that it's true: You get what you pay for. Pypes stuff is inexpensive, and I think I know why now.

FWIW, the stock Mid-pipes are heavy, convoluted, pinched too. My Maganflow mids (I do cat-back systems for a few reasons, fitment being one) are lighter than stock, much more fluid in the bends too. I have done axle backs as well, but saw a few more ponies with the entire system (and fwiw, I also have an X-pipe on my '11 as well).