Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Questions about brake upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 03:16 AM
Skarkull
1st Gear Member

Default Questions about brake upgrades

So my big question about brakes is that I am looking at upgrading mine, but I don't want to exceed what is really necessary. I was thinking about just getting drilled/slotted rotors, would that be a significant improvement over the factory system, or do I really need to get a new set up with larger rotors and calipers.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:33 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Stay away from drilled and slotted rotors - they're hype. Stick with Brembo stock replacement pieces.

Buy these -

Motul 600 or ATE Super Blue fluid
Hawk HPS or EBC Yellowstuff pads
braided lines

Happy Motoring.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:55 AM
2nd Gear Member

air ducts helped me significantly
Old 08-30-2009, 05:58 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Another mod that really helps is front brake cooling. Several kits are available including Quantum and Agent 47. I'm running the Quantum kit on the track and am happy with it.

After switching to the EBC Yellowstuff pads this year I found they don't hold up well to serious track use. My rears were down to the metal after 4 track days. I'm now running Hawk HP+ front and rear on both street and track and they seem to be holding up better on the track but do squeal on the street.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:05 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Me - "this track is hard on brakes."

Coach - "don't use them so much."
Old 08-30-2009, 06:21 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Skarkull
So my big question about brakes is that I am looking at upgrading mine, but I don't want to exceed what is really necessary. I was thinking about just getting drilled/slotted rotors, would that be a significant improvement over the factory system, or do I really need to get a new set up with larger rotors and calipers.
Try the other mods that have been sugested before you go to a BBK. Most of them require you upgrade to 18 inch wheels and thus end up costing a lot more than just the kit.

If you do decide to upgrade then IMHO a cost effective upgrade is the GT500 kit

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9540

but you have to find wheels that also fit a GT500. The kit includes the stainless steel lines which alone are worth about $200. Pads are readily available from several companies because the same calipers are used in other cars. Replacement rotors are also pretty inexpensive. The rotors are pretty heavy but that means they also absorb a lot of heat.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:23 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

A digression - I can't imagine how much it costs you to feed a GT on European fuel prices!
Old 08-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Skarkull
1st Gear Member

It really isn't that bad, I get gas for 3.07 a gal, so the price isn't as bad on my wallet as my foot is, gas mileage at 145 mph sucks! I already have 18 inch wheels, I just don't want to buy something twice. I want to get what is good the first time, but not necessarly the most expensive. So just get the kit for the front? Cause I think it would look really gay having cool looking brakes up front, and factory in the rear.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

It really isn't that bad, I get gas for 3.07 a gal, so the price isn't as bad on my wallet as my foot is, gas mileage at 145 mph sucks! I already have 18 inch wheels, I just don't want to buy something twice. I want to get what is good the first time, but not necessarly the most expensive. So just get the kit for the front? Cause I think it would look really gay having cool looking brakes up front, and factory in the rear.
You should see what gas mileage is like with an SC. Going flat out up the back stright at Mosport, max 135 MPH I'd swear I can see the gas guage going down.

I agree that having the stock rotors and calipers on the back with 18 inch wheels looks a little funny but for me appearance is secondary to peformance. Heck my car even has a cloth interior and to get that I had to order it and wait 6 weeks.

If you want bling then there are lots of BBKs for the front and rear that come with slots and holes. Just remember that drilled rotors will crack under heavy use and when you replace them they cost more money.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:25 AM
desslok40
3rd Gear Member

I just got some front Centric Premium rotors and Hawk HSP brake pads, after researching quite a bit settled on this set-up, alot better than stock (I had already warped front stock rotors, LOL) and a great upgrade for just $300 installed.

The "big brake" kits are outrageously priced and won't work with stock 17" wheels !!!!

Quick Reply: Questions about brake upgrades