Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Kont STR.T and Roush springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Sirsilent
2nd Gear Member

Default Kont STR.T and Roush springs

Hi,

I have Roush springs in the rear and I am thinking about upgrading to Koni STR.T and maybe add the front Roush springs too. Would that be a good combo?
Old 08-30-2009, 06:09 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

You'd be spending money on some relatively high grade parts to get the chance to get something that handles decently with no clear purpose nor tested or guaranteed result.

It would be better to spend money to buy something that handles decently.

A good combo would be all Roush, or buy a brand new complete suspension package like the Saleen kit for $600 or something else complete. I'd recommend the Saleen kit if you're planning to spend about $700 total as you seem to stretching your budget judging by you considering not getting Roush front springs. It's the best handling kit under $2000, comfortable and the lowest priced kit on the market. Good stuff.

Last edited by Legion5; 08-31-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Blair
2nd Gear Member

I have the Roush springs and shocks. The street ride quality is excellent. Going from the stock suspension to the Roush on my 2010 there was no significant reduction in ride quality on the street. I am very happy with the improvement in performance as well. You can usually find Roush struts and shocks on Ebay for cheap as well.

I agree with the previous poster regarding the non adjustable Konis. They will probably work great, but no guarantees. If you get the Roush shocks you are getting dampers tuned for your particular springs and a greater chance that you'll be happy with the compatibility.

Blair
Old 08-30-2009, 11:13 PM
Sirsilent
2nd Gear Member

It makes sense to get the matching shocks for my springs. I just had good experience with Koni shocks on other cars before and I thought they might be better quality than the Roush shocks for the price.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:25 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sirsilent
It makes sense to get the matching shocks for my springs. I just had good experience with Koni shocks on other cars before and I thought they might be better quality than the Roush shocks for the price.
Konis ARE better quality than Roush, you can put a hand forged silver rod in place of your struts and that would have the highest build quality and 100% reliability but it still would work poorly as a suspension setup, quality and performance are different though.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:26 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Wow, just wow.

Quality and performance are different, for once Legion 5 stated something I agree with. But then there is the part I don't. Koni is a world leader in dampers, not some fly by night company. The idea that a company that makes dampers that win F1 World Championships will make some piece of crap is just laughable. I handle Roush parts, my biggest supplier carries them, so this is not about my not getting my hands on them.

Ask anyone, ANYONE who's had any Koni's over the years what they thought and they'll tell you probably to a person they are top notch.

You have your Roush rears, get the fronts, and pony up the *less than* $500 to the door for STR.T's and enjoy. The idea is an affordable performance damper. They aren't Sports, they aren't meant to be. They are intended to be geared toward the Roush, Saleen, Tokico Blue kind of dampers and do it better (like with a kick-*** warranty). Koni has the higher end stuff covered already. These are about bang for the buck.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:37 PM
Blair
2nd Gear Member

I agree that Koni is a quality company. But there are no guarantees that the StrT's will work to his liking with the Roush springs. On one of my prior cars (an Audi A4) I put on a set of Koni FSD's. They were supposed to be the hot ticket then, the best of both worlds performance and ride comfort. I installed them with some Eibach prokit springs. They were packaged together as a kit and were highly recommended by the Tire Rack (last time I take suspension tuning advice from them!) and the ride was terrible, I was bouncing all over the place and generally not happy. There was nothing I could do to fix it, so I replaced them with adjustable Koni yellows and was able to dial them in and the car rode and handled like a dream.

I can tell the original poster that I was happy with the Roush springs and Roush struts, that is until I added bigger wheels and bigger brakes and the ride quality changed. If the Roush struts were adjustable I'd be set, but for at least a little while I'm stuck with them. If the original poster can swing the cost of the Koni yellows he'll be happy no matter what because of the adjustability, but if he can't and then his choice would be the Roush shocks that I can attest work well. Or he can take the leap of faith and get the nonadjustable Konis. They might work great or he might end up with a ride he doesn't like and can't change. I am sure the StrTs are a great product and work with a variety of spring rates and ride heights, but I've never used them. Anytime you mix nonadjustable dampers with aftermarket springs you are taking a gamble that they will be compatible and that you will be happy with the ride.

Just my .02
Old 08-31-2009, 04:58 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Wow, just wow.

Quality and performance are different, for once Legion 5 stated something I agree with. But then there is the part I don't. Koni is a world leader in dampers, not some fly by night company. The idea that a company that makes dampers that win F1 World Championships will make some piece of crap is just laughable. I handle Roush parts, my biggest supplier carries them, so this is not about my not getting my hands on them.

Ask anyone, ANYONE who's had any Koni's over the years what they thought and they'll tell you probably to a person they are top notch.

ha ha what the hell are you talking about Sam? Did I write that Konis which have won F1 are a piece of crap?

You have your Roush rears, get the fronts, and pony up the *less than* $500 to the door for STR.T's and enjoy.
Lets be clear the Saleen setup should cost $35 more total in parts not $100+ ... about $500 + springs is how that works.

The idea is an affordable performance damper. They aren't Sports, they aren't meant to be. They are intended to be geared toward the Roush, Saleen, Tokico Blue kind of dampers and do it better (like with a kick-*** warranty). Koni has the higher end stuff covered already. These are about bang for the buck.
Marketing, not results.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:11 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Another alternative if you want adjustablility are the Tokico D Specs. They are not as good as the adjustable Koni's but offer excellent bang for the buck and they are available right now and Koni adjustable fronts are apparently back ordered until I think October.