Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

H&R SS springs installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 10:04 AM
whyask
3rd Gear Member

Default H&R SS springs installed

I installed the SS springs yesterday and wow ! I love the look, did the camber bolts with it. Is there anything else I should get to help with the lower drop..?? thanks!

SGT McCauley
Old 09-05-2009, 10:28 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

It all depends on whether you only care about looks or are interested in handling.

Last edited by Sleeper_08; 09-05-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:05 PM
whyask
3rd Gear Member

Oh im all for the handling ! What good is the car if hit handels lke POOP! ... someone sugjested and adjustable panhard bar ..?? Pro-Cons..??
Old 09-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by whyask
Oh im all for the handling ! What good is the car if hit handels lke POOP! ... someone sugjested and adjustable panhard bar ..?? Pro-Cons..??
The adjustable panhard bar serves two pupposes;
1) to center the axle after lowering. If on level ground the horizontal distance from fender lip to the outside edge of the tire is within 1/8 inch left and right then you don't need it for that reason.
2) They come with either poly bushings or rod ends and these are stiffer than the stock rubber bushings. This improves the "crispness" of the back end feel but unless you really push the car hard you may not notice it

As the stock car handles pretty well you really need to understand what is wrong with how it presently handles before you can start fixing it.

The general concensus is that the best way to improve the handling is to replace the struts/shocks. The main choices here are Koni Adjustable (fronts out of stock until October?), Tokico adjustables and Koni non adjustables. Do a search in this forum on KONI and you'll find lots of threads that discuss the issue.

Considering that the H&R SS springs lower the car 1.7 F and 1.9 R then these may not be the best springs to get if you are really serious about improving handling. The severe front drop seriously compromises the geometry and at both ends the amount of available suspension movement on bump has been significantly reduced.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:39 PM
whyask
3rd Gear Member

WOW.... thats was i looking for .... I had the Steeda Ultralites on there but if wasnt low enough for my taste! As for SHocks and struts those are my next susp. mod as it is anyway ! Would the ebiach rear kit (sway bar and what have you) be a good investment.. This isnt an all out track car or autocross , just love me some spirited driving on the twisties and hallin *** on the freeway !
Old 09-05-2009, 02:53 PM
1nasty05
2nd Gear Member

Pics or GTFO
Old 09-17-2009, 09:27 PM
tampa07gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
The adjustable panhard bar serves two pupposes;
1) to center the axle after lowering. If on level ground the horizontal distance from fender lip to the outside edge of the tire is within 1/8 inch left and right then you don't need it for that reason.
2) They come with either poly bushings or rod ends and these are stiffer than the stock rubber bushings. This improves the "crispness" of the back end feel but unless you really push the car hard you may not notice it

As the stock car handles pretty well you really need to understand what is wrong with how it presently handles before you can start fixing it.

The general concensus is that the best way to improve the handling is to replace the struts/shocks. The main choices here are Koni Adjustable (fronts out of stock until October?), Tokico adjustables and Koni non adjustables. Do a search in this forum on KONI and you'll find lots of threads that discuss the issue.

Considering that the H&R SS springs lower the car 1.7 F and 1.9 R then these may not be the best springs to get if you are really serious about improving handling. The severe front drop seriously compromises the geometry and at both ends the amount of available suspension movement on bump has been significantly reduced.
How do you fix "The severe front drop seriously compromises the geometry and at both ends the amount of available suspension movement on bump has been significantly reduced. issue with these springs"? I was looking into them. I do no autocrossing. Will the tire cup or wear much faster?