Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Anyway to adjust steering sensitivity

Old 09-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Skarkull
1st Gear Member

Default Anyway to adjust steering sensitivity

Ok, I know not everyone has this problem, but lets see if anyone has an answer.

As I was driving home last night, around 0300 in the morning, at 150 mph, I noticed something scary. When your moving at 150 mph it don't take much to change lanes, and since I dropped the car 1.5" my steering seems to be much more sensitive. I mean if I think about thinking moving my car to the right, I'm already 2 lanes over, and at 150 mph, that isn't good. So anyway to turn it down? Any cogs to change to adjust the ratio? What is the stock ratio on a GT btw?

Thanks for any info.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

What were your camber and toe in set to after the car was dropped?

Is the road smooth,i.e. could bump steer be a problem?

I've only had mine up to 135 or so at the track and it feels stable at that speed.

Is it possibly aero lift? Do you have a front spoiler/splitter?
Old 09-06-2009, 06:44 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

The stiffer everything is, the more responsive it will be to any input. Especially at 150mph, you've traveled further than at normal speeds (not that 150 isn't "normal"! haha)

Think about it, would you rather have every input result in predictable reaction, or would you like to have a loose "waggle" in the steering like on crappy economy cars where at 150 mph you might not be able to make a corrective maneuver in time???
Old 09-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Skarkull
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
What were your camber and toe in set to after the car was dropped?

Is the road smooth,i.e. could bump steer be a problem?

I've only had mine up to 135 or so at the track and it feels stable at that speed.

Is it possibly aero lift? Do you have a front spoiler/splitter?
By they in this statement I mean the shop that did the alignment. My camber is at -1.4 degrees each, They could not adjust it all the way out, I'm waiting for payday to get camber bolts. My Toe was in, both about 4 degrees, they set them to 0.0-0.1 . I do not have a front splitter yet, I had lots of hop in the front before the drop now after the drop no hop, but she seems to wonder to the left and right alot more. I still want to "turn down" the steering more. Steering is 15.7:1, I would like it around 18:1. Why else would she seem to wonder to the left and right some, also the roads are not that smooth here in Germany.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:03 PM
BAMFingOh10
1st Gear Member

Steeda front arm relocation and bumpsteer kit
Old 09-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Blair
2nd Gear Member

Toe out or zero toe can sometimes make the car twitchy or darty like that at high speeds. Toe out is great for transitions and turn in, but not so much for high speed straight line stability. I'd try running maybe 1-1.5 degrees total toe in. That would increase straight line stability, but you'd lose some turn in response.

Blair
Old 09-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Skarkull
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BAMFingOh10
Steeda front arm relocation and bumpsteer kit

I noticed several items that state they fix my problem.

Steeda X5 Ball Joint:

Steeda's X5 balljoints are designed to raise the roll center of your 2005-07 Mustang which becomes lower as a result of lowering with lowering springs.

Raising the roll center eliminates the issues associated with the lower roll center, making for a great improvement in handling by reducing body roll and improving the front tire contact patch without increasing spring rate or roll bar rate.

Steeda balljoints are made in the USA by a respected name-brand supplier to Ford, GM and Daimler Chrysler. Except for their custom length, they are the same materials and construction that has been extensively tested in Panther applications, that is, police cars and other severe duty applications, where they have demonstrated durability that exceeds current production "regular" balljoints. They meet Ford's standards for friction, wear, and durability.

Steeda's X5 ball joints change the bump steer geometry. Steeda highly recommends a bump steer kit be used in conjunction with the X5 balljoints.

Steeda Control Arm Relocation Kit:

Steeda's control arm relocation kit raises the front roll center of the vehicle, which becomes lower as a result of lowering the vehicle with lowering springs.

Raising the roll center eliminates the issues associated with the lower roll center, making for a great improvement in handling by reducing body roll and improving the front tire contact patch without increasing spring rate or roll bar rate.

This kit will raise the front lower control arm inner mounting location by 3/4 of an inch (19mm). Highly recommended for the open track and competition driver looking to maximize handling.

Steeda Bumpsteer Kit:

Correct Your Bumpsteer with this Bumpsteer Kit that features spherical rod-ends with tapered shafts for a hassle-free installation that requires no drilling of the spindle for fit. Recommended for all lowered Mustangs with X2 Balljoints, X5 Balljoints and/or Caster Camber Plates. Now available with a wider range of adjustment than other kits.

So, would you add all 3? Would there be a benefit to adding all 3, or would it just be a ton of money thrown away. The first 2 both seem to move the LCA or spindle up, and the last just makes adjustments for it. I understand how the bumpsteer kit works, but how will the 1st two fix my issue
Old 09-07-2009, 04:26 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Sorry if I missed it but which springs do you have in your car?
Old 09-07-2009, 06:42 PM
BAMFingOh10
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Skarkull
The first 2 both seem to move the LCA or spindle up, and the last just makes adjustments for it. I understand how the bumpsteer kit works, but how will the 1st two fix my issue
The front arm relocation kit restores the angle of the rear trailing arm to match Ford's original pinion design's intended steering characteristics. It fixes problems with spring rates and under steer.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:28 PM
BAMFingOh10
1st Gear Member

I have decided that due to the fact that I may have my car for only another year before trading in for a manual V6, I may need to buy different parts. I am selling parts at the prices I paid, but with free shipping.

I am asking $80 for Front arm relocation and $160 for the Bumpsteer kit, shipped. Both will fit all 05-10 S197s.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyway to adjust steering sensitivity