Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

stock panhard bar and brace

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 11:50 AM
mykim72
2nd Gear Member

Default stock panhard bar and brace

for daily driver purposes...are the stock peices servicable? i am on pro kits and i dont notice or feel anything wrong with the stocks...i notice everyone seems to recommend this mod and i was going to wait to get a watts but im thinking of just leaving this completely stock for at least a few more years...i want to finish these car payments and get rid of some credit card bills...is stock that bad?
Old 09-17-2009, 12:20 PM
mykim72
2nd Gear Member

i do do a lot of spirited driving though...
Old 09-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

If you are going to spend money on the suspension, there are much better placed to spend it than on a PHB and a brace IMHO.

First thing I'd do is upgrade the dampers since they are responsible for what most folks don't love about how a stock car works. Good shocks and struts make the ride better, make the car less jumpy, more solidily planted, and more taut responding too.

So to answer you question, yes the stock stuff is more than serviceable. In fact I just won my 6th National Championship in a Shelby GT that has way stickier tires, lowering springs (stock), upgraded swaybar vs. a GT---but stock PHB and brace (not legal to change in my class. The car pulls more thand 1.2g on the tires I race on too, which street tires can't.

I'm not saying it's perfect, only that there are bigger fish to fry if you want to improve the car.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:46 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

If you lower the car and then put wide tires in the rear, then an adjustable PHB is necessary. When you add lowering springs, the rear end shifts to the side a little bit b/c of the PHB angle changing. If you add an adjustable PHB, you can center the rear axle to maximize rear clearance with wide tires. I am selling my BMR adjustable PHB and HD brace b/c I decided not to lower my car and I still have stock wheels/tires. Let me know if you are interested.