Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Coilovers

Old 10-09-2015, 08:40 AM
MikeyB954

Default Coilovers

Hey guys I have done some work on the motor this past summer and gonna do the suspension this winter. I have all the stuff picked out for reloc brackets to sway bars and pan hard bar stuff like that.. But I was wondering what you guys suggest for coilovers? I have done some research and I keep coming back to the Eibach Pro Street set. Good or is the better for around the same price?
I use the car for daily driver but also gonna get into a little auto cross and 1/4. So I am looking for something that will be decent to help in both catagorys.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2015, 05:26 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I sell a lot of different coil-overs. The Eibach's are one I'd caution you against. The shocks aren't very good is the biggest reason.

I carry ST, KW, Ridetech, Eibach, H&R, Viking, and others.

If you are on a budget, this is what I'd recommend: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...216&ModelID=35

Those come with camber plates and damping adjustment. You want both. Camber needs to be changed for performance driving, but if you street drive a lot you might not want much and camber plates allow it to be changed. The damping adjustment is big for both drag and handling. For drag you can soften the front struts and promote quicker weight transfer to the rear. For handling you can add it where needed, front, back, both, to change how fast the car responds, how fast it generates roll and pitch, and how stable it acts and feels.

ST is made by KW, and KW's work. We've won SCCA National Championships with KW's on various cars.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:18 AM
MikeyB954

Default Hey there

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I sell a lot of different coil-overs. The Eibach's are one I'd caution you against. The shocks aren't very good is the biggest reason.

I carry ST, KW, Ridetech, Eibach, H&R, Viking, and others.

If you are on a budget, this is what I'd recommend: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...216&ModelID=35

Those come with camber plates and damping adjustment. You want both. Camber needs to be changed for performance driving, but if you street drive a lot you might not want much and camber plates allow it to be changed. The damping adjustment is big for both drag and handling. For drag you can soften the front struts and promote quicker weight transfer to the rear. For handling you can add it where needed, front, back, both, to change how fast the car responds, how fast it generates roll and pitch, and how stable it acts and feels.

ST is made by KW, and KW's work. We've won SCCA National Championships with KW's on various cars.
Hey there thanks for the reply after doing some research from the time I wrote this I had changed my mind the Eibachs and was looking into the KW's. But I have decided to put those on hold and go a different route this winter. I have decided to put a supercharger system on the car 1st.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:08 PM
MagnumOpus

I found this thread and ended up buying a set of XTA Coilovers along with a UMI rotor-joint panhard bar. It was a close decision between these and koni sports with springs, which I've run on a non-mustang before and been happy with. I'm glad I went with the XTA because it really is a quality coilover. It's not some cheap eBay setup, and the difference is amazing versus the stock setup (and better than the coilovers I used on another non-mustang I had).

Anyone still on the fence about a suspension, you'd be hard pressed to find a better bang for your buck than the ST/KW's XTA setup. It's very streetable, and not a track-only coilover. Thank you Sam!
Old 01-07-2016, 11:43 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

You're welcome! Thanks for posting. And in fact I'm putting a set on my daily driver today (not a Mustang but a GTI, but that's beside the point).

I don't think there is better bang for the buck on coil-overs than those right now especially with camber plates included!

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...216&ModelID=35

http://www.stranoparts.com/data/imag...0019191204.jpg
Old 01-15-2016, 03:00 PM
RWHEELS
1st Gear Member

Sam looking at the pic, are the rear's not coilovers? I don't see the threads or adjustment
Old 01-15-2016, 03:13 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Rears are not coil-over shock, which is how most setups for the S197's are. They are a weight jacker setup. Spring on an adjustable height perch that sits at the stock location.

I prefer that myself as the spring loads are put into the location they were meant to. The shock location isn't intended to carry the weight of the car. In fact the rear of the GTI is that way, so are 4th gen f-bodies (where we've run a lot of KW Variant 3's). All KW's are that way for the Mustang. H&R's are like this too.

There are some actual coil-over setups for the car in the rear. But most are at best what I'd consider iffy dampers. Viking, QA1 that kind of crap. Ridetech has a coil-over rear with their kit which uses a Fox damper. It's a valid option we could discuss too.

FWIW, I've put almost 1000 miles on these ST XTA's now. Ride is great, rebound control is great. Absolutely no complaints or regrets, which is exactly what I wanted to find out. BTW, I should mention that there is a price increase coming on 2/1..... in case anyone is leaning toward trying a set. Effects both ST and KW.

Last edited by Sam Strano; 01-15-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:23 PM
ccwebb
1st Gear Member

Regarding shock/spring location...Ford's factory built FR500S, FR500C, FR500GT, Boss 302R s197s all run coilovers in the rear. Also Griggs, Ground Control, Cortex, Vorshlag, etc. Are they all running coilover suspension components in sub-optimal locations?

Are Multimatic, Sachs, Koni, Penske, Ohlins categorized as iffy dampers?
Old 03-15-2016, 12:10 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

What do the factory race cars have in common? Roll cages, that pickup the top shock mount on the rear. That's bracing the body in that location.

For what it's worth, I'll mention *again* that I carry brands that convert the rear to actual coil-over too, so that's your call.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:56 PM
ccwebb
1st Gear Member

Hi Sam,
I also mentioned rear coilover offerings...like you have...that end up on non-factory, non-caged S197s...so there.

I also think there are a lot of great coilover dampers...like you have...if I had the loot, I'd do it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coilovers