Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Impressions of Saleen Watts Link

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 12:30 PM
ohskigod
2nd Gear Member

glad to see more people enjoying the Watts link. I got the Saleen Watts installed years ago (right after the recall) and haved loved it from day one. the improvement it gave particularly over the rough stuff and bouncy roads made me wonder why they just didnt do this from the factory (price factor i'm sure, but still)
Old 12-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by eolson
I had the stock set up obviously, then the Steeda panhard/brace, then the Saleen Watts, and now the Techco Watts Link.

Erik
So which one do you prefer? Or should I say "works best in your opinion"?
Old 12-05-2009, 05:31 AM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

The Techco unit is higher quality materials, bushings, and the length of the arms is longer than the original Saleen unit, so it eliminates any deflection, where as I mentioned earlier, the Saleen unit still had a bit of lateral movement in hard corners with bumps or rises.

As mentioned, the Saleen bolts have had a history of failing with some units, other people have been fine.

The main issue with the original Saleen units were the need for a support brace, not having quite long enough swivel arms which allowed some lateral travel still which caused rubbing of rear tires in hard corners for the Saleen Extremes that have 305/20's in the rear.

The Gen II unit had lengthened swivel arms, better bushings apparently, the added support brace obviously, but has still had reported bolt failures, which we only hear of a few when people complain on various forums, there are obviously more complaints that would only work back to Saleen, and I'm sure be treated individually as "very rare circumstances" that are not apparently that rare.

In summary, the Techco unit, for that Saleen/Techco specific design, is simply a better unit because of superior materials inspired by and in response to the reported problems with the Saleen units. Those of us that were sold the Gen I units(with only the added support bar) when we thought we were being sold the GenII superior units, were given a nice discount by Techco, when buying that unit.

You can tell the difference between the GenI and the Gen II units by simply measuring the length of the swivel arms, The Gen I arms are 16 3/8ths or so, and the Gen II are 17 and something. Otherwise they look identical, and hense the surprise of many thinking they have the Gen II unit. Do you ??? Hhhhmmmmmwwwhhhaaaahahahahahaha. Erik
Old 12-05-2009, 06:32 AM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

would love to see some pics
Old 12-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Thanks for that nice breakdown Erik. I'm going to purchase a watts next month but.....decisions, decisions...