Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Sumitomo HTRZIII Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 03:04 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Default Sumitomo HTRZIII Review

Well take this review for what it's worth since my only comparison is to the stock pirelli all seasons. However, these tires are a night and day difference between the Pirellis.

First of all, the grip is much much better than the pirellis. I took these to a mountain road which I always drive to test my car and the grip was so much better than the pirellis.

More importantly, these tires break away very smoothly. With the stock pirellis, I always had trouble bringing the rear end back under the car smoothly after an oversteer slide. With these Sumitomo tires, I can power out of a slide very easily and the car is smooth the ENTIRE time. Oversteer can now be used to point the car in the direction which I want to go rather than having it just put me in a position where I am trying to gain back control. The car goes EXACTLY where I want it to go now. It is so easy to control this car now and this is the best mod I have done by far. Plus they just look much better than the ****ty pirellis.

Just thought I would share my good fortunes. These tires are $99 a piece on tire rack which is dirt cheap. I would definately recommend them over the pirellis.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:51 PM
TEXASGT/CS
3rd Gear Member

I have the II's on mine and so far I love them. you are right about the stickyness and curveablity. Only problem I have is when we geta little cold spell around here.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:01 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Sumitomo street tires are well known for their high oil content in the rubber of their tires, this is why mine wore out in about 8k miles. They are a cheap tire for a reason. The rubber compound they use is substantially sub par, which is why the HTR-Z had a 100 for trearwear. Its not because its a sticky soft compound, its because its a crap compound that doesn't have the ability to last like a good quality tire, like a BFG, Toyo, Goodyear, will have.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:22 PM
KeneticEnergy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
Sumitomo street tires are well known for their high oil content in the rubber of their tires, this is why mine wore out in about 8k miles. They are a cheap tire for a reason. The rubber compound they use is substantially sub par, which is why the HTR-Z had a 100 for trearwear. Its not because its a sticky soft compound, its because its a crap compound that doesn't have the ability to last like a good quality tire, like a BFG, Toyo, Goodyear, will have.
lmao at your sig

thanks for the new info. so what differentiates a good compound from a bad compound? that oil? and what does toyo do that separates them from the cheap tires? know anything about hankook?
Old 12-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Silver_Pony
1st Gear Member

nice I need new tires thx
Old 12-19-2009, 10:20 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I had those... came with my rim package.
Definitely the bottom of the barrel... Mine were gone in about 10K miles.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:52 AM
NaplesFL11GT
3rd Gear Member

I used to have them on my 03 GT and I can remember they wore out pretty fast.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:32 PM
KeneticEnergy
2nd Gear Member

do either of you two have experience as far as regarding the compounds of the tires youve used? i'm definately curious to learn more about this.

my buddys HTRZIII's always wore out fast. but i always attributed it to his silly in the head japanese style cambery wheel fitment style
Old 12-19-2009, 04:42 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by KeneticEnergy
do either of you two have experience as far as regarding the compounds of the tires youve used? i'm definately curious to learn more about this.

my buddys HTRZIII's always wore out fast. but i always attributed it to his silly in the head japanese style cambery wheel fitment style
I deal with tires every day. I work in a repair shop that specializes in them... what do you want to know?
Old 12-20-2009, 01:29 AM
KeneticEnergy
2nd Gear Member

I deal with tires every day. I work in a repair shop that specializes in them... what do you want to know?
i understand there is a difference in cheap tires and expensive tires. what does that difference constitute as far as material, construction, quality control?

so sumitomo sucks, what about hankook? i'm running the new v12 evo's and theyve been ok so far. sidewall is a little soft and vague, but otherwise good for now.

i'm kind of new to this car thing; had been driving lifted trucks for the past 5 years.

i know you get what you pay for and i should be buying a ps2 or f1 gs d3, but i'd like to know what tires you personally like since youre in the know. something multipurpose for a daily driver that will grip, corner, not kill us in the rain, and get decent miles before balding

Quick Reply: Sumitomo HTRZIII Review