Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

toyo tire or new pirelli p-zero tire for street driving?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 09:13 PM
raywang5
2nd Gear Member

Default toyo tire or new pirelli p-zero tire for street driving?

toyo(http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Toyo/Extensa+HP), pirelli p-zerp(http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?ti...model=P%2DZero) which one is good in real life on street? i need good tires to hook up my paxton supercharger..so dont lose two much control when acc. toyo got a lot higher score than pirelli p-zero..so any idea? any help will be appreciate...
Old 01-05-2010, 07:18 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Those two tires don't really compete with each other - the Toyo is a high performance value all-season tire while the Pirelli is strictly a summer performance tire. So you can't really compare scores (and there are apparently only two contributors for the Toyo, which isn't much to go on).

On the one hand, Pirelli has been in the high performance tire business for a long time, and as far as I know has always had at least one tire model in the top performance category. A PZero tire is Ford's tire choice for the 2010 Track Pack option.

On the other, Toyo does have a number of serious performance tires in their lineup (T1R, R1R, R888 just to name three off the top of my head).

About here is where I'm going to mention that when I see "cutesy" names for tires ("Extensa?") a big red warning flag goes up. The suggestion is that tires so named are not all about serious performance, and are using catchy names to attract customers who might not be very familiar with tires beyond having to replace them when they're worn out or damaged. The order in which the features are presented . . .

Features:
  • Unidirectional All-Season Tread Design - Provides good all-season traction and modern styling.
  • Silent Wall Technology - Reduces pipe resonance, resulting in a quieter ride.
  • Four wide circumferential grooves - Evacuate water to improve wet traction.
  • Solid Center Rib - Delivers straight line stability to improve handling.
  • Interlocking Tread Blocks - Enhance directional stability and cornering performance.
  • Multi-Function Taper - Enhances cornering performance. Assists in water dispersion. Increases tread life.
. . . doesn't get into any sort of hardcore performance attributes until about the fourth item down. You can take that as an indication of Toyo's intentions for this tire and how to make it appeal to the target customer.

Just so you know, there is also an Extensa A/S that is specifically intended for plain-Jane sedans and minivans.

Have you looked at the various Nitto offerings? There's more than just the NT555 that quite a few people on this forum seem to be running.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-05-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:51 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

I have the Pirelli M & S i'm assuming all season, I like them but going to 18's from 19's and looking at the Nitto's from Amer. Muscle.com just a thought.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:13 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Street tires are like condoms.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:54 PM
BadSteed
1st Gear Member

My tire guy claimed that the Nittos 555 were Not rated as high in traction as the Pirellis. He ask a good questions, Was the car a daily driver? Would it be in the rain or snow ? Finally do you want a higher milage tire ? If so stay with the harder compounds. I went with the Pirellis, Was glad I did it has snowed here daily since!
Old 01-05-2010, 06:39 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Passenger: Round and black. They hold air, last a long time, provide a comfortable ride, and don't cost too much. A step up from this is sometimes called "traditional luxury."
Touring: While comfort and long-life are top priorities in this category, precise steering feel and a more controlled ride are important as well.
Grand touring: Sometimes called "performance luxury," these tires offer sportier steering feel, tauter ride, and enhanced grip.
High-performance: Grip, both wet and dry, and crisp steering feel are at least as important as tread life and comfort.
Ultra-high-performance: Grip is king, and precise steering feel is queen. Tread life and ride comfort take a back seat. Some separate out the stickiest street tires into a "max performance" category.
If you like the way your car currently feels, stay with the same tire category or, ideally, the same tire. If you'd like to enhance performance, consider stepping up a category or two
Old 01-05-2010, 06:45 PM
raywang5
2nd Gear Member

ye, thx everybody i think i got my answer, the reason i want to change the tire is the stock Bfgoodrich 235/50zr18 isnt good at the place where i live, the tire always lose control when i try to lauch over 2.5rpm, however, only one snow this winter, thats weired.