Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Saleen Suspension - Not Lowering Enough?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 08:54 AM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Default Saleen Suspension - Not Lowering Enough?

Hey guys, I recently installed the full Saleen suspension package (shocks, struts & springs) which is advertised to drop the car approximately 1 – 1.25 inches all the way around. The new suspension has been on the car for a week now and the car has only been lowered .5 inches all the way around. The car handles much better and rides just fine, so it feels like everything it working as it should… it just hasn’t lowered the car as much as I’d expected.

I’m not sure if this necessarily indicates something is wrong, but from your experience have you seen this sort of variation in suspension claims?

Is there anything I should check in regards to the springs?
Old 01-29-2010, 09:55 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Are they 'clocked' properly?

Norm
Old 01-29-2010, 02:23 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Were the rear LCAs tightened up with the suspension under load?
Old 01-29-2010, 02:56 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Norm, we didn't have installation directions but we tried to put the springs in the same position as the stock ones. I'm trying to find the official Saleen install instructions and will double check to see if they indicate a particular positioning.

Sleeper, no we tightened everything back up while it was on jackstands. Should we have done otherwise?
Old 01-29-2010, 11:44 PM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

Photo's?
Old 01-30-2010, 05:23 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

The LCA bolts should be tightened when the rear axle is at ride height. See post #3 in this thread for the explanation

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...heel-rate.html
Old 01-30-2010, 08:43 AM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
The LCA bolts should be tightened when the rear axle is at ride height. See post #3 in this thread for the explanation

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...heel-rate.html
Thanks for the info sleeper, but that doesn't explain the reason why the front is still only .5 inch lower. I've got a request in with Saleen tech support to send me their installation instructions to see if we've got the springs clocked correctly.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Steve,

You don't really need the directions from Steeda, you need what macmovieman requested: photos, so we can see what happened and help.

"Clocking the springs" isn't specific to Steeda's springs, it's a basic point in the installation procedure that many folks miss. The spring should be rotated during installation so that the ends of the coil come up against the stop in the lower and upper strut mounts.

If you can take some pics of the spring as it sits in the strut assy, and hopefully get a decent shot of the upper portion of the spring in its mount, maybe we can take a look and determine if they're in their proper place. This is probably going to be hard to do (for the top) with the strut still in the car, but you may be pulling the thing out anyway, since your measured drop sounds pretty small.

Best,
-j
Old 01-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

In case you haven't seen these yet here are couple of link's to TacoBill's spring install instructions;

http://forums.themustangsource.com/s...18&postcount=1

http://forums.themustangsource.com/s...35&postcount=2
Old 02-01-2010, 11:09 AM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Thanks guys, will try to get photos tonight. One other thing I thought of, I haven't had an alignment done since I did the install. It doesn't feel too far off center, but could not being properly aligned have an affect on ride height?

Quick Reply: Saleen Suspension - Not Lowering Enough?