Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Suspension Upgrades from Track Pack?

Old 02-04-2010, 10:54 AM
Team STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Sounds like strano said basically the same thing I did. That the track pack isn't very good. There pare plenty of great products out there but there is so much crap for our cars we have to sift through first to find it. Check out our February BLOW OUT specials on our front and rear adjustable sway bars for S197s.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

is that teamstillen.com?

all i have on my to do list are koni's, springs, and steeda HD mounts. im sure that will be all i NEED... but once you catch the mod bug its hard to stop.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

A few points here. I also make bars for the car... And adjustable ones front and rear. But I wanted some specific things on my rear bar. 3 things in fact.

1. I wanted to make sure it worked with Watts links and PHB's both... it does because we designed it that way. And the two types of Watts links I prefer both clamp to the axle tubes which means you can't bolt a bar there anyway (more on this in item #3).

2. I think it's stupid to drag around weight that is not useful, so both my bars are hollow.

3. My bar bolts to the stock location, keeping unsprung weight down (anything bolted to and supported on the axle is unsprung weight). There are times when more unsprung weight is a necessary evil... bigger brakes, bigger wheels/tires... Watts link should you run one, etc. But adding it to get an adjustable (or even a non-adjustable) bar isn't a valid reason. But it's cheaper to build the bars that way because it's easier to make a bar that bolts onto the axle than to the stock Ford mounts..... I opted not to go that way for the above reasons.

My bars are not nearly as cheap as the "great deals" Stillen is pushing.... And frankly I wouldn't want them to be. I think, hope actually... folks recognize detail and understanding, and get why my stuff isn't dirt cheap. But even not being Wal-Mart Closeout priced... the value is there. $379.99 isn't bad for a set of bars that has the background and testing put into them mine do. You could easily spend $100+ more or less on bars. I think you gain nothing with more expensive bars (unless you want massively stiff bars in which case I sell Hotchkis too), and you give up things with less expensive bars (which I also have being I sell Progress, Eibach and Steeda as well).

And finally.... Feel the need to point out that I am a Sponsor here, and am more than available to answer questions both here and by phone, and do it every day.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:33 AM
jasezero
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
A few points here. I also make bars for the car... And adjustable ones front and rear. But I wanted some specific things on my rear bar. 3 things in fact.

1. I wanted to make sure it worked with Watts links and PHB's both... it does because we designed it that way. And the two types of Watts links I prefer both clamp to the axle tubes which means you can't bolt a bar there anyway (more on this in item #3).

2. I think it's stupid to drag around weight that is not useful, so both my bars are hollow.

3. My bar bolts to the stock location, keeping unsprung weight down (anything bolted to and supported on the axle is unsprung weight). There are times when more unsprung weight is a necessary evil... bigger brakes, bigger wheels/tires... Watts link should you run one, etc. But adding it to get an adjustable (or even a non-adjustable) bar isn't a valid reason. But it's cheaper to build the bars that way because it's easier to make a bar that bolts onto the axle than to the stock Ford mounts..... I opted not to go that way for the above reasons.

My bars are not nearly as cheap as the "great deals" Stillen is pushing.... And frankly I wouldn't want them to be. I think, hope actually... folks recognize detail and understanding, and get why my stuff isn't dirt cheap. But even not being Wal-Mart Closeout priced... the value is there. $379.99 isn't bad for a set of bars that has the background and testing put into them mine do. You could easily spend $100+ more or less on bars. I think you gain nothing with more expensive bars (unless you want massively stiff bars in which case I sell Hotchkis too), and you give up things with less expensive bars (which I also have being I sell Progress, Eibach and Steeda as well).

And finally.... Feel the need to point out that I am a Sponsor here, and am more than available to answer questions both here and by phone, and do it every day.
Thanks Sam...i'll be in touch with you once my bank account recovers from my down payment on my car...i definitely would like to get rid of the wheel hop...thats my biggest (and really only) complaint with the car =)
Old 02-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

No sweat... Wheelhop will be a different set of control arms. Many types, some way better than others. Be happy to discuss the options with you when you're ready.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Team STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Sam,

You bars are amazing. That being said, our bars are hollow and I just wanted people to know we are having a sale this month. Our bars are normally much more expensive than almost every ones. I also agree on the Hotckis boat anchors and the Eibach OE replacements that are powdercoated red

Your rear bar and you testing methods are top notch in my perosnal and professional opinion and you always give great advise on this site. Keep up the great work!
Old 02-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Team STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Also, our forum sponsorship should be up in the next couple days and it's www.stillen.com
Old 02-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Hotchkis bars aren't heavy.. they too are hollow. They are just too big not too heavy (they aren't solid). I will never compete with Stillen on the price, your bars have always been cheaper and again, I think a lot of that has to do with the fact the setup for the rear is more simple (not that it won't work, but it's a compromise.

Eibach bars aren't OE bars (unless you consider the fact FRPP bars are Eibach and they are stock on a Shelby GT). I don't know if you meant to imply they are stock bars coated red, because that's how it came across and it's incorrect. Stock bars are 34mm front, 20 rear, Eibach are 35/22 as well (rear solid non-adjustable, but bolts to the body not the axle so the unsprung weight is less).

There certainly is no shortage of options for swaybars... And of course we will both figure our respective companies have the better option. I do my bars to work as I think best, not on price--so anyone wanting to save a few bucks over thinking about how the bars function in terms of unsprung weight, etc will probably go elsewhere anyway. I did mine for the gearheads, not the folks looking for the inexpensive solution but worked hard to keep the pricing reasonable, and I think I've done both well.

Anyway, welcome....
Old 02-07-2010, 06:07 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Ths stillen sway bars a good option if you dont want to do the Watt's link. The unsprung mass argument is very important with IRS, but not as much with a live stick axle. With how much the wheels, tires, brakes, axle shafts, axle tubes, and differential weigh, a hollow sway bar doesnt significantly increase the unsprung weight.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I guess you can look at that one of two ways. You have Stillen bars.... so I know you feel that way.

Consider that the more unsprung weight the worse off you are, and it all matters. And fwiw, some IRS's can have more a solid axle (think SN95 IRS), not less. I don't feel your "there is a lot anyway so why does it matter" argument does not hold water when really put the test. The cars stock have a lot of power, why add more? They have decent brakes? Why make them better? They drive decently to many, so why try and improve that? Should someone who is 25 pounds overweight say screw losing 10 pounds what does it matter???? I understand the notion, but it falls under the idea of "good enough", and frankly there is a difference between not caring vs. not mattering.