Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Need info on suspension mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 02:47 PM
MustangMike908
1st Gear Member

Default Need info on suspension mods

I have a stock 2010 Mustang GT Premium, glass roof, 19" paint alum wheels, and everything but nav system

I am going to add a bren speed CAI/Tune system, a new exhaust (prob Rouch), and a suspension mod if I find I like them

Can I have some info on suspension mods? Which ones are best to get for handling etc.

I don't want anything super expensive, but it doesn't have to be a cheapy either
Old 02-07-2010, 03:33 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Just read the threads in this forum.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:49 PM
MustangMike908
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WeinerDog
Just read the threads in this forum.
I have but I am still unsure which would be best.

This car is my daily driver, so I don't want anything too low or extremely expensive. Just want that handling boost for the fun and the lower car look
Old 02-07-2010, 03:54 PM
dvs4.6
2nd Gear Member

use the search engine!
Old 02-07-2010, 04:02 PM
MustangMike908
1st Gear Member

Wouldn't it be easier for you guys to just give me advice rather than tell me to look somewhere else? Linking me would be more helpful than just saying search. I'm new here and don't know much about the site
Old 02-07-2010, 05:02 PM
05gtgreen
2nd Gear Member

All I have done so far is change out the rear lower control arms for some J&M control arms, they helped a little for wheel hop. This spring I will be installing the upper control arm from UMI. Hope this eliminates the wheel hop all together.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:43 PM
notsofast
2nd Gear Member

It would probably be best for you to define what you like and dislike about your current suspension. Also, is you car equipped with the track-pack option?
Old 02-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangMike908
Wouldn't it be easier for you guys to just give me advice rather than tell me to look somewhere else? Linking me would be more helpful than just saying search. I'm new here and don't know much about the site
You do realize that today is Super Bowl Sunday and game time was less than 3 hours away when you opened this thread . . . . whatever that might imply.

Part of the reason for asking you to search a bit is so that you can refine where it is that you want to take this. I certainly can't put your number on what' "too low", just as one example. I might consider anything more than 1" too low, while other's won't look at anything that doesn't drop the car at least 1.5". Some like a more level car stance using rear springs that lower more than the fronts do, others prefer the rake. If nothing else, you at least get an idea what things are by consensus either generally good or not very good for handling. Somewhere, there's a thread that tabulates some of the available spring data (yes, it exists, no I don't have a link for it, and if I have a copy of the data itself it isn't on this computer).

As has been asked already, just what do you want the car to do differently as far as its handling is concerned? Is there anything in its behavior that you DON'T like? Things that you think it should do better, more of, or less of? What's your tolerance for a stiffer ride quality?

If it wasn't for your mention of ride height, I'd just suggest Koni non-adjustable shocks/struts, maybe Sam Strano's adjustable sta-bars, and leave the springs alone at least for now.

Handling is more than just cornering g's; it's a lot about how the car "feels" to any given driver when driven at least reasonably hard. Skidpad lateral g's only gives a rough idea of performance POTENTIAL.

Oh yeah, 10 - 3 Colts.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-07-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Here is a link to the spring thread Norm mentioned

https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...g-allowed.html
Old 02-07-2010, 07:00 PM
gmoran1469
3rd Gear Member

LCA relocation, lowering springs, new dampers, swaybars, etc.

I personally am starting with steeda sports springs, koni str.t dampers, and a umi 1055 adjustable panhard bar, after that I am getting the Strano stage 3 swaybar kit.

Quick Reply: Need info on suspension mods