Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Steeda Sport Springs and Koni STR.T's

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 07:58 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Default Steeda Sport Springs and Koni STR.T's

Got the stuff installed today. I've only driven the car about 5 miles since the upgrade and my initial impression is that it is a nice improvement. Perhaps not exactly what I expected, as I'll explain.

The stance is better but I measure a 1/2" drop in the front and 1 3/8" rear. I was hoping to retain the stock "rake". The rear looks perfect, I just wish the front had dropped a bit more.

The body roll is definitely reduced and the steering seems crisper. Remember, I have not driven it enough to really know a lot, hopefully I'll get up in the twisties this weekend. My initial impression is that it is not the night and day difference in corner handling that 05-09 owners report, I suppose because the '10 handles better to begin with.

Here's the surprising thing: It rides MUCH better. Smoother, much less po-going and just generally more compliant. I was not expecting this. I'm sure when I can actually get the car in some nice curves in the country, this will translate into more confidence.

Another immediately noticeable thing is that under hard acceleration, the front doesn't rise like a boat anymore and when you hit second you really feel it. Nice.

No time for pix tonight, maybe this weekend.

Last edited by WeinerDog; 02-18-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:05 PM
tidepride
1st Gear Member

thanks for the info thats the setup i was thinking of when i get my stang
Old 02-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

Nice. U will have to tell me how it handles the twisties. Did you go with an adj Panhard bar right away? I measured the rear today and my rear axle is off center.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:20 AM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

makes me want to order mine NOW..... but i must wait for summer, last i checked the koni sports were still on backorder anyways. can't wait to see pics of the stance
Old 02-19-2010, 07:19 AM
branman1
2nd Gear Member

Weiner, it will take a little bit for the springs to settle. I would drive it for a good 100 miles and see how it looks.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:47 AM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by branman1
Weiner, it will take a little bit for the springs to settle. I would drive it for a good 100 miles and see how it looks.
Cool. Thanks for that info.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:24 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Well, my initial impression was wrong. This is a night and day difference! Took the day off and got about 75 miles in the mountains. Man, this setup rocks! The body roll is gone and the car feels much lighter. The steering is incredible.

I started out on one of my favorite mountain roads, two lanes going up so no need to worry about being slowed by Camrys. Even though it was 30 degrees on the mountain and roads suck because of the salt/gravel/melting snow I was still able to push it enough to grin like an idiot. Near the top, the rear end kicked out at 65mph due to the crap road so that settled me down a bit. Totally fun, I can't wait until things warm up and the tires are sticky!

I tell ya, I feel sorry for those of you that only have on-ramps for curves. Much more fun turning than going straight.

When I ordered this car, I had a bit of trouble deciding between the glass roof or the track pack (you couldn't get both). I'm glad I decided on the GR because for much less than the TP, the car now handles the way I want it to. The only "problem" is it is not possible to go anywhere near the speed limit now on a curvy road.

Here's a couple pix of the stance, I'll post more soon.

Last edited by WeinerDog; 02-19-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:53 PM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

I have the same stuff plus some and I definitely agree about the ride being smoother. Also I now love smashing the pedal after a light turns green when Im making a turn. I always find that even though Im turning, I takeoff way faster then any car going straight, and dust any car turning too. Suspension mods are the most fun.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:15 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WeinerDog
... I tell ya, I feel sorry for those of you that only have on-ramps for curves. ...

And most of the time they're crammed full of cars. Ramp meters often make matters worse, too.

Glad to hear your suspension mods are making you a happy camper -- and that you can actually have fun with them without having to drive 50+ miles just to get to the twisties!
Old 02-20-2010, 05:42 AM
xspsi
1st Gear Member

Glad to hear the suspension mods paid off. I plan using the same Koni's, but with Eibach Pro-Kit springs.

IMO, the stance on your car looks great!

Quick Reply: Steeda Sport Springs and Koni STR.T's