Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Here is the deal

Old 03-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Noodle23
2nd Gear Member

Default Here is the deal

Im a newbie to mustangs and cars for the most part. i mean i do understand a bit not to a good extent so i come here for advice. Im looking to do some suspension work to 05 v6. I looking for just basic aftermarket shocks/struts rear/front sways. Is there anything else that i should do? Anything i should avoid?(meaning things that don't do what they advertise ie throttle bodies) anyone now where the deals are? anything would be helpful.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:04 PM
dvs4.6
2nd Gear Member

there are plenty of reputable on line shops with plenty of tech help. just do some research. most of the mustang sites have a "V6" section that pertains to your model. read the threads and see what other have had luck with. the suspension between the V8 and 6 are essentially the same. it is a never ending learning experience so be patient and DO NOT take any one persons advice as scripture.

(ie, throttle bodies: i had excellent results from the BBK throttle body so that is not a fair statement)

another note your example of throttle bodies not doing what they claim is relative, my throttle response was day and night from the oem, it may not hav given me the claimed 8hp, but it made the response almost instant. so the gains were noticeable.

some shops to look at:

american muscle, lethal performance, stage3 performance, breenspeed, tire rack, and just take a look on this site for other the links are there for you to use.

you find the best deals are the "free shipping that some offer"
Old 03-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

The right suspension mods for you depend very much on what you want to do with the car. Some guys are only concerned with the looks, they want to lower the car and don't really care about handling, etc. Others are concerned about wheel hop and how to eliminated it. Others want a very stiff ride. Etc, etc.

If you are looking for advice that is applicable to your situation, you'll need to give us more info: what is your budget, what are your plans, how do you use the car, what don't you like about the stock suspension, etc.

On the other hand - if you just want to do what a lot of folks do...start with:
- Eibach Pro springs
- Tokico D-Spec shocks
- Adjustable Pan Hard Bar (many brands, all basically the same)

This is a decent quality, mid price setup that suits a lot of folks. It may be all you ever want or need. There are many brands of springs and shocks that are comparable, I just mention these because they are some of the more popular ones.

Best place to buy: try used, especially on the PHB. I had all of these parts and sold them used. The guys who bought them got great deals.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Rollingstone
1st Gear Member

Does the the basic V6 have panhard bar?

Here is my setup:
-Eibach pro springs
-STR.T Koni shocks & struts
-GT front & rear sway bars take offs

Would a panhard bar make a difference to this setup? if so would you please recommend one from your site?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Argonaut
The right suspension mods for you depend very much on what you want to do with the car. Some guys are only concerned with the looks, they want to lower the car and don't really care about handling, etc. Others are concerned about wheel hop and how to eliminated it. Others want a very stiff ride. Etc, etc.

If you are looking for advice that is applicable to your situation, you'll need to give us more info: what is your budget, what are your plans, how do you use the car, what don't you like about the stock suspension, etc.

On the other hand - if you just want to do what a lot of folks do...start with:
- Eibach Pro springs
- Tokico D-Spec shocks
- Adjustable Pan Hard Bar (many brands, all basically the same)

This is a decent quality, mid price setup that suits a lot of folks. It may be all you ever want or need. There are many brands of springs and shocks that are comparable, I just mention these because they are some of the more popular ones.

Best place to buy: try used, especially on the PHB. I had all of these parts and sold them used. The guys who bought them got great deals.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:32 PM
peetiewonder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rollingstone
Does the the basic V6 have panhard bar?

Here is my setup:
-Eibach pro springs
-STR.T Koni shocks & struts
-GT front & rear sway bars take offs

Would a panhard bar make a difference to this setup? if so would you please recommend one from your site?

Thanks.
all s197s have panhard bars, unless equipped with a watts link. u should probably get an adjustable bar tho to recenter your rear axle with the pro kit springs.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:28 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Yep, I agree with Peetie, the reason for the adjustable PHB is to recenter the rear axle due to the lowering by the Eibach springs. Regarding brand - take your pick: BMR, UMI, Spohn, etc. Its a simple part and they all perform the job adequately.