Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Titianium Brake Heat Shield/Shim Input

Old 03-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

Default Titianium Brake Heat Shield/Shim Input

A couple weeks back I visited the TiSpeed Braking site (http://tispeed.com/) to look into titanium brake heat shields (shim) for my Mustang. Titanium shims are used as an insulating material between the brake pads and calipers to reduce the amount of heat transferred from the rotors/pads into the calipers/brake fluid. As it turns out, they didn’t have one for the stock Mustang brake profile so they asked me to work with them to come up with a shim for the stock Mustang GT caliper.

One of the questions they had in designing a Mustang heat shield was whether tabs along the top of the shim would be necessary/beneficial to hold the shim in place. They do not have the ability to pre-bend the tabs so it would be something the installer would have to do. Due to the brittleness of titanium, the area to be bent would need to be preheated with a torch to make sure they don’t snap off. They have done this for other pad profiles.

My feeling is that the ears at the end of the pad plus a small amount of high temperature caliper grease would be more than sufficient to hold the shims in place. I don’t change out my Cobalt Friction pads at the track and the caliper piston force keeps the pads from rattling when driving to and from the track.

I told them I’d pose the question to see if there are any strong feelings one way or the other regarding the additional tabs. Does anyone feel that the added tabs would be necessary? Is there anything else you feel that should be added to the shim design that would make them better?

No, I don’t have a financial interest in the company. No, I don’t get a free set of shims for my (minimal) effort.

Regards,
Old 03-20-2010, 12:33 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

hummm, I haven't messed with my brakes so I can't answer but the concept sounds like a good idea reasonable price too.