Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

eibach sway bars in, clunking sound?

Old 03-21-2010, 03:36 PM
scapegoat
2nd Gear Member

Default eibach sway bars in, clunking sound?

So i put my sway bars in, finally, yesterday. noticed under certain conditions i get a clunking sound now. this occurs mainly under high compression and at an angle at a slow speed. for instance, coming into and out of steep driveways onto the road. going over speed bumps slowly at an angle.

the rest of my suspension is stock. was wondering if anyone has had this occur as well and if it is normal and if i'd be ok autocrossing. messing around in the car otherwise and i haven't heard a sound from them and they're performing very well.

i should mention that it is coming from the rear

Last edited by scapegoat; 03-21-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:20 PM
wrestlinnut
1st Gear Member

It sounds like the sway bars are loose. Look up the torque specifications and then use a torque wrench to tighten them. That should fix the problem.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:26 PM
scapegoat
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wrestlinnut
It sounds like the sway bars are loose. Look up the torque specifications and then use a torque wrench to tighten them. That should fix the problem.
hmmm. i'd say they're tighter than the factory sways. it didn't take much to break loose the stock bolts. i'll take a look though
Old 03-21-2010, 04:35 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Did you reuse any Ford bolts during the installation. These are one-time use only and may not hold the proper torque. I got some clunking from the front with my FRPP front swaybar install (similar bar to the Eibachs) and had to go back to the dealer to retighten everything. Check the torque settings again. Might also liberally grease the bushings as well.

Cheers.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:49 PM
scapegoat
2nd Gear Member

all new rear bolts. front hardware was reused, but the sound is coming from the rear. perhaps not enough grease? but when i checked this morning there was def grease coming out from the bushings and the sway bar moved easily before i bolted everything down securely
Old 03-21-2010, 06:24 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

i was looking to get these. let me know what the verdict is when you find it. good luck
Old 03-21-2010, 06:59 PM
scapegoat
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by deekum1627
i was looking to get these. let me know what the verdict is when you find it. good luck
will do. i'll hopefully be able to get to it this week after work. going to remove the front and rears and regrease the bushings and borrow a torque wrench.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Red06
2nd Gear Member

The front sway bar end links are notoriously difficult to tighten properly. If you haven't done so, I'd try tightening them again.

Good luck.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:00 AM
scapegoat
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red06
The front sway bar end links are notoriously difficult to tighten properly. If you haven't done so, I'd try tightening them again.

Good luck.
think the front could be causing the back to clunk? i'll pick up a click torque wrench today... i need one anyway.

i also found these torque specs online:
Front Stabilizer Bar Bracket Nuts: 70 Nm - 52 ft/lbs. (i assume these are the body mounts)
Rear Stabilzer Bar Bracket Nuts: 70 Nm - 52 ft/lbs. (body?)
Rear Stabilizer Bar Link bolts: 115 Nm - 85 ft/lbs. (at the wheel?)
Old 03-22-2010, 07:51 PM
scapegoat
2nd Gear Member

so... i got the rear sway to stop clunking. i loaded up the 4 bushings with castrol full synthetic grease and tightened the bolts with a torque wrench. i got the body mount bolts to about 50lbs and the wheel mounts to 60lbs.

despite the specs found above i stopped at 60lbs because the outer bushing mount started to bend into the stock clip holes... i figured 85lbs would have broken something.

so now they're quiet, but its pouring out so i can't really get on it in turns.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: eibach sway bars in, clunking sound?