Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

How to improve steering feel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 09:29 AM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

Question How to improve steering feel?

As you can see from my sig I have made a few suspension mods including the FRPP suspension package and GT 500 wheels and Goodyear F1 Supercar Tires. The package includes shocks, struts, sway bars and springs. All is good with the ride and handling but the steering feels dead, compared with my daughter's SVT Focus. Do any of our suspension experts on the forum for Saleen, or Rousch or Brenspeed have any ideas on a cure?
Old 03-24-2010, 03:51 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

I think the biggest thing is that it's a few turns lock to lock, so it takes a little more input before you start to turn. my old S2000 was pretty reactive to steering input since it was less turns lock to lock than my mustang. coming from imports some guys would find other steering racks that were tighter and swap them in to get a better steering feel. more for auto-x than road courses since you're doing a lot of tight turns in auto-x.

not sure if anyone makes a tighter ratio steering rack, if they did that would make the car feel more responsive since it would take less input from the driver. go too tight and it gets annoying though for the street. I drove an EVO X and at highway speeds it would be a little annoying with how quick the steering was. probably fine at the track though.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:31 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Have you adjusted the alignment? A standard alignment will normally have the front slightly toed in and the camber slightly negative. This promotes stability (the car feels steady and doesn't wander) and tire longevity.

But racers and autocrossers routinely change this - neutral or slight toe out will cause the car to "turn in" to corners much quicker but it does make the car a little more twitchy. More negative camber will give the front end additional grip in fast corners but it also causes a little more wear on the inside of the tires.

Another option is use a smaller steering wheel to make the steering feel quicker.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:20 AM
dkegel
1st Gear Member

The Mustang is heavy and wide, with big heavy wheels and tires (relative to the Focus). It will never feel anywhere near as responsive or "tossable" as a Focus, Miata, Civic, etc. It's just physics.

Dave

Originally Posted by fakesnake
All is good with the ride and handling but the steering feels dead, compared with my daughter's SVT Focus. Do any of our suspension experts on the forum for Saleen, or Rousch or Brenspeed have any ideas on a cure?
Old 03-25-2010, 12:50 PM
BAMFingOh10
1st Gear Member

Aluminum driveshaft for better steering responsiveness. UCAs, Front arm relocation, and/or bumpsteer for dead accurate handling.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:55 PM
dkegel
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BAMFingOh10
Aluminum driveshaft for better steering responsiveness.
Really?!
Old 03-25-2010, 01:07 PM
BAMFingOh10
1st Gear Member

Talking

Originally Posted by dkegel
Really?!

It uses metal to metal instead of rubber gaskets.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:17 PM
peetiewonder
2nd Gear Member

Aluminum driveshaft for better steering responsiveness.
I don't get this either, please elaborate.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:58 PM
dkegel
1st Gear Member

It uses metal to metal instead of rubber gaskets.
Yes, and how exactly does that affect the steering?

Less driveline slop sure, but the steering?

Dave
Old 03-25-2010, 10:32 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I am interested in resetting the steering geometry, does anyone know what the new settings are for improved handling in terms of toe-in, caster and camber?

Also considering a new Panhard rod, LCA's and Bumpsteer kit.

Have had a shaftmaster one piece driveshaft in the upper part of my "Big Mod List" for a few months to improve engine response and reduced NVH in the drivetrain. I hear it absolutely transforms any car.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Quick Reply: How to improve steering feel?