Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Saleen Racecraft Coilovers? BC Racing? Megan?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 02:37 AM
peetiewonder
2nd Gear Member

Default Saleen Racecraft Coilovers? BC Racing? Megan?

Has anyone had any experience with these? They have them listed as super high performance this and that, but from what I can tell they are rebadged (and repriced) BC Racing Coilovers (Who also makes the Megan Racing Coilovers).

Megan Racing Coilovers

BC Racing Coilovers

Saleen N2+ Coilovers

From what I can Tell the BC Racing Coilovers and the Saleen N2+ Coilovers are essentially the same thing, although I don't know the spring rates for the Saleens. Both are 30 stage adjustable and the spring rate on the BC coils is 8kg/mm (~448lb/in) front and 5kg/mm (~280lb/in) rear.

The Megans are 36way adjustable (and run different valving I assume) with 7kg/mm (~392lb/in) with the same 5kg/mm springs in the rear.

Pricewise the Megans can be had for ~$900, The BC Racings ~$1000, and the Saleens ~$1900 (which makes me beg the question as to what makes them drastically different from the BCs)

Also if you are looking at the BC Racing Coilovers beware of the ebay ones because the ebay dealers like to sell them without camber plates which is like buying a knife with no handle...
Old 04-12-2010, 09:50 PM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

ok peetie i know you never got an answer, and i got curious myself so i emailed Brenspeed about these new coilovers of theres and i got a couple questions answered. I hope this can help you out a little.

I was wondering if I could get a little more information on the part SALEEN
N2 RACECRAFT ADJUSTABLE SUSPENSION KIT for the 05-10 Mustangs.

Does this kit come with camber/caster plates? COMES WITH CAMBER PLATES NOT
CASTER

WHat is the minimum drop - NO MINIMUM DROP, YOU CAN MAKE IT HIGHER THAN
STOCK IF YOU WANTED and the most drop possible? - TILL THE TIRES RUB ON
WHEEL WELL LINERS\ What is the warranty on these items? 12 MONTH / 12,000
MILE

What are the spring rates front and back? 6 KG FRONT/ 5.5KG REAR (HARD TO
COMPARE THESE TO STANDARD SPRING RATES BECAUSE OF THE WAY THESE SHOCKS WORK)

And anything else that you could tell me about this kit, I would be more
than apreciative. I am very interested in the kit and would just like some
help putting the pieces together." WHEN YOU ADJUST THE RIDE HEIGHT YOU DON'T
ADJUST SPRING COMPRESSION, SO THE RIDE QUALITY DOES NOT CHANGE NO MATTER THE
HEIGHT OF THE VEHICLE. DAMPENING EASILY ADJUSTABLE WITH 30 CLICKS RANGING
FROM HEAVY TO SOFT DAMPENING.

Please let me know if you need anything else and I will be glad to help!

Thanks,
Chandler

http://www.brenspeed.com/n2-.html
Old 04-13-2010, 03:13 AM
peetiewonder
2nd Gear Member

I ended up ordering the BC kit for my car since I couldn't justify buying the outsourced saleens for twice as much money. I'll post a review up of em as soon as I get em on the car. good thing about coilovers is that springs are pretty easy to swap out for different rates.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:24 AM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

sick yea let me know how they are im really want coilovers and if the BC's work just as good im down with using those...

Whered you get umm from?
Old 04-13-2010, 01:17 PM
peetiewonder
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DRock
sick yea let me know how they are im really want coilovers and if the BC's work just as good im down with using those...

Whered you get umm from?
for sure... like i said im pretty sure the n2+ are just rebranded bc racing coilovers.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:14 PM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by peetiewonder
for sure... like i said im pretty sure the n2+ are just rebranded bc racing coilovers.
Awesome, where did you order them from and have you gooten them to even look at them yet?
Old 04-13-2010, 05:46 PM
peetiewonder
2nd Gear Member

i found a dealer on zilvia.net (240sx and z forum) and they will be here this thursday
Old 04-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

The most critical part of the suspension of a car are the dampers. I've known many to buy what seems like a deal, and like them well enough.... until they find out what real shocks are like. And some, just never like the cheaper stuff to start with.

You get what you pay for with shocks/struts/springs. $900 is what a decent set of tires cost. Shocks are much more complicated, have more parts and must deal anything you ask of the car.

I hope you find them ok, but there is a reason that price differences exist. Sometimes it's hype, but hype doesn't last long if the product isn't up to the task. Megan, BC, and that ilk exist because coil-overs are "cool" and they are priced to make folks drool. Think about what H&R coil-overs cost--with non-adjustable dampers. H&R is a company you know and can trust. Look at what KW's cost. Look at what Koni Sports cost when no on sale (just under $800, but $629 now).

For all the talk of knowing how to make dampers. Megan and BC don't actually put dampers on cars that ask much of 'em. They don't actually race anywhere, let alone build shocks for F1 cars like Koni does. I know nobody who can make that cheap stuff work autocrossing... I followed a G35 on Megan coil-overs last week at a track day. Lapped him twice in 20 minutes on a 1.6 mile track--and could see his car pattering and moving around on things I couldn't even feel in my Camaro (what I was running that day).

$900 is certainly cheap for coil-overs, but $900 isn't something to be tossing away. You'd have been way further ahead with a good set of dampers like Koni Sport or even D-specs and nice springs. If you need height adjustment for some reason, I'd have recommended H&R's over those any day, but KW's or even Eibach if you wanted adjustable dampers.

There is NO tangible information about them, they talk a good game but when it comes down to it they don't offer any information to back it up. What are the spring rates? Are they adjusting bump and rebound at the same time? What is the valving like vs. stock? What is the warranty like? How was the damping curve and the spring rates developed/decided on?

Well I found the rates. 391 lb/in front, 280 rear. That's brutal. H&R Race springs are 325/290. Stock is about 140 at each end, Steeda Sports are 200/175, and Eibach/FRPP are about 230/200. Not only is it massively stiff--it's disjointed. Too stiff in the front relative to the rear at about a 30% split vs. most spring sets (that actually work well) that are more like 15% different.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:20 PM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

well they LOOK identical to the saleen ones and have the same rates and the same amount of adjust and everything else. So if they do make them for Saleen the obviously Saleen trusts what they are doing.

Im not going for a hard core racer I want a streetable car that i can adjust the ride height on depending on the wheels and the gaps between the wheel and the wheel well.

We will see how the kit for him comes out and if it comes out well than i will put in my order too.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:33 AM
peetiewonder
2nd Gear Member

Sam,

I looked into these quite a bit before i bought them and bc racing is the parent company that builds coilovers for a lot of other companies, i.e. saleen and megan. The coilovers come with a one year warranty and after the warranty is up they will replace each shock for like 75 dollars if there is a problem with it iirc.

they adjust bump and rebound together and honestly i bought them more for a hard parking street car than a true track car. Everyone i've talked to with these coilovers has not had a problem with them.

Worst case scenario if I don't like them I'll take them off the car and get something different.

Quick Reply: Saleen Racecraft Coilovers? BC Racing? Megan?