Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Anyone compare ride quality on roush susp. vs below set up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 10:59 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Default Anyone compare ride quality on roush susp. vs below set up?

I am trying to decide what to do suspension wise on my 10 GT. I drove a 427R and really liked the ride quality of the stage 3 suspension. However, after messaging with Sam Strano a few times and thinking about what I plan to do with the car I am leaning towards his recommendations.

Sam recommended steeda sports, adj panhard, caster camber plates and gave me a few options on dampers. I am leaning towards the koni yellows, I decided since they really aren;t that much more in the realm of what i have tied up in the car already I would be better served to just get adjustable dampers to start with. I figure that way i can get a soft ride on the street and better handling at track days/autox/driving schools that i want to do.

The question is have any of you by chance ridden in or drive a roush 427r or a car with the roush suspension and a car with a similar setup to what i mention above? This is my daily driver and i will not ruin the ride like the eibach springs and tokino blue dampers i had on the 05 did. That was miserable for anything more than a few miles at a time on rough streets.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Adjustable dampers are the way to go for a mixed use DD and track toy. You can run them as soft as you like for DD use and then firm them right up for track use.

And the Koni's on sale are a good deal.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:41 PM
RonG

I had Steeda Sports with D-Specs. I liked the look, but the ride was a little to rough for me. I now have Roush Stage 2 springs with the D-Specs and the ride is much more to my liking. However, the Roush springs are still more firm than the stock springs.

Last edited by RonG; 05-01-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Which Steeda Sports? There are two different sets (most don't know that). I only sell one particular set.

And you have adjustable shocks, if the springs change the damping needs tweaked too. Could be that the settings the shocks were at are more suitable for the Roush springs. I use a ton of Steeda Sports (the one particular set) and they ride really, really well when teamed with appropriate damping.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:45 AM
RonG

Sam, I'm no expert so I'm sure I the Steedas could have been tuned better. I also didn't know there are 2 different types of Sport springs. How does one know what they are getting?

Anyway, I like the Roush springs for my application. I should also mention that I felt the handling with the Steedas was much tighter than with the Roush springs (and bars).
Old 05-03-2010, 11:01 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

That's why buying from a place that knows this stuff is important. Anyone can sell parts, it's harder to actually understand the differences between parts (even when they sometimes have the same name). I learned it because I investigated when I got two different sets in bearing the same description. Upon review, I found they were totally different, and after testing both went with the one I liked.

I'd bet your Steeda springs are progressively wound and a lighter blue vs. a darker blue, those are stiffer springs than the Sports I tend to use.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:35 PM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

Sports and Koni Strts give me a great ride.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:15 AM
notsofast
2nd Gear Member

To the OP, I have a 2010 Roush 427R and drive it nearly every day. First of all, you can't go wrong with Sam's recommendations. I replaced my 2006 GT suspension based upon his recommendations (with parts bought from him) and I could not have been happier with the results.... well, until I drove the 427R, that is.
The 427R suspension works very well for a daily driver, not harsh at all. It's a "smoother" ride than my 2006 GT, but that probably has more to do with the newer chassis I would think.
I haven't tracked the 427R - no venues real close to me. Based on what I've read about it though, it would probably do just fine for a HPDE or occasional auto-X.
I bet you'll be happy with the results either way you go.