Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

LCAs & Panhard ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 10:30 AM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by F1Fan
Something was limiting the rear axle travel and it smelled like the LCA's joints.
Would articulating joints on both ends of the LCAs be a viable solution?
Old 06-06-2010, 04:59 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 6-Speed
I was looking for some Currie products and came across some control arm products that they have for Mustangs featuring the Johnny Joint. They are on the more expensive side, but they appear to be well executed.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...E.aspx?id=2761

http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...E.aspx?id=2760

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/productsRE.aspx?id=2745

sixspeed,

I had not realized that Currie had released these buggers yet! The Currie adjustable LCAs are pretty stout looking and cheaper than doing what I suggested which was to add a pair of Currie J'Joints to a set of Steeda double adjustable LCAs. While not really cheap IMO they certainly are going to be a better value than the Hot Parts/J&M pieces. These are the real deal with a real Currie Johnny Joint installed so they should be durable in street use and easy to maintain while at the same time quiet!

The billet LCAs are IMO just like every other billet LCA, cool looking for show cars but not very useful for the serious chassis builder even with an adjustable UCA. There are just too many good reasons to have both adjustable UCA and LCAs to try to skimp here. Adjustability is your friend if handling is your primary goal. The Currie UCA is not very well executed, kind of crude. I would suggest using a Johnny Joint on a good adjustable UCA and be happy.

HTH!
Old 06-06-2010, 06:43 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Would articulating joints on both ends of the LCAs be a viable solution?
6-speed,

Sure but the problem is that the control arms would be able to flop around the make noise hitting the chassis and axle mounts. This is one reason why many high performance street LCAs have one conventional poly bushing and one rod-end. The combination also helps keep the noise down to some degree by isolating the chassis at least partially with the poly bushing. A poly bushing on the chassis and a Currie Johnny Joint would be nearly as quiet as a poly/poly setup with improved freedom of movement, reduced binding and artificial spring rate a solid bushing adds.

HTH!
Old 06-06-2010, 09:28 PM
6-Speed
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by F1Fan
sixspeed,

I had not realized that Currie had released these buggers yet! The Currie adjustable LCAs are pretty stout looking and cheaper than doing what I suggested which was to add a pair of Currie J'Joints to a set of Steeda double adjustable LCAs. While not really cheap IMO they certainly are going to be a better value than the Hot Parts/J&M pieces. These are the real deal with a real Currie Johnny Joint installed so they should be durable in street use and easy to maintain while at the same time quiet!

The billet LCAs are IMO just like every other billet LCA, cool looking for show cars but not very useful for the serious chassis builder even with an adjustable UCA. There are just too many good reasons to have both adjustable UCA and LCAs to try to skimp here. Adjustability is your friend if handling is your primary goal. The Currie UCA is not very well executed, kind of crude. I would suggest using a Johnny Joint on a good adjustable UCA and be happy.

HTH!
I am really leaning towards the Currie billet LCAs since I don't drag race or track the car. I like how they resemble the stock arms.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:12 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

I am really leaning towards the Currie billet LCAs since I don't drag race or track the car. I like how they resemble the stock arms.

6-Speed,

The adjustable LCAs are not really just for drag racing. The adjustable LCAs allow you to set the pinion angle correctly on a car with lowered ride height. You can also set the pinion angle using an adjustable UCA but you cannot get the axle in the right place if lowered much without adjustable LCAs in addition to an adjustable UCA. Adjustable LCAs are also helpful for people with Watt's links installed to help with clearance and linkage alignment.

HTH!