Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Can anything be done to help a vert handle

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:48 AM
SterlingGTVert
1st Gear Member

Sam,

I'm new here but from what I've read your VERY respected among the members here. So as a new GT vert owner (10' model) I'm happy to hear your favorable take on the s197 verts.

I'm also looking to gain a bit of handling while retaining as much ride quality as possible.

With that in mind i have a few questions:
First, I'm considering either Steeda Sports or UL(not sure what to use on a vert) or these Roush Extreme springs http://store.roushperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=1007

Do you have any experience with the Roush springs and if so...how do they compare with the Steedas?

With any of the above springs do I need to worry about pinion angle? If so whats the best way to correct it?

With best ride quality in mind...are the Koni Str.t shocks/struts a good choice with the above springs?

My rear axle is already shifted off to the drivers side some at the oe ride height so it looks like I'll definitely be needing an adj phb. Which bushing style is best for the least nvh?

Finally to correct camber...I'm trying to decide between the J & M plates or the Steeda HD's. My car came with 19's so it has the Ford strut brace. Do you know if either plate will work with the oe ford strut brace?

Sorry for the long post and the thread hi jacking.

-Ken
Old 06-23-2010, 10:28 PM
08droptop
2nd Gear Member

I love my Vert! It only has 17,500 miles on it, but I don't have the rattles and noises. I don't race it, but I do like to drive it hard at times. I think it drives fine and handles nice. I kinda want to upgrade to an 11' at some point, and my next car will be a vert also. Super nice to have the top down and go for a fast ride!
Old 06-24-2010, 07:55 AM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Be aware if you ever did decide to road-course the car, some event organizers may not allow convertibles due safety/roll-over issues. May require a proper roll cage. Just something to keep in mind even though you don't intend to race at this time.

Cheers.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SterlingGTVert
Sam,

I'm new here but from what I've read your VERY respected among the members here. So as a new GT vert owner (10' model) I'm happy to hear your favorable take on the s197 verts.

I'm also looking to gain a bit of handling while retaining as much ride quality as possible.

With that in mind i have a few questions:
First, I'm considering either Steeda Sports or UL(not sure what to use on a vert) or these Roush Extreme springs http://store.roushperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=1007

Do you have any experience with the Roush springs and if so...how do they compare with the Steedas?

With any of the above springs do I need to worry about pinion angle? If so whats the best way to correct it?

With best ride quality in mind...are the Koni Str.t shocks/struts a good choice with the above springs?

My rear axle is already shifted off to the drivers side some at the oe ride height so it looks like I'll definitely be needing an adj phb. Which bushing style is best for the least nvh?

Finally to correct camber...I'm trying to decide between the J & M plates or the Steeda HD's. My car came with 19's so it has the Ford strut brace. Do you know if either plate will work with the oe ford strut brace?

Sorry for the long post and the thread hi jacking.

-Ken
I can sell Roush parts, but frankly I prefer the Steeda Sports. I know who makes them, I know the quality, I know the spring rates.... All important things to me when I sell parts.

You can lower and will more than likely have zero pinion angle issues---every Shelby GT is lowered from new, and have no adjustments to compensate. I had my '07 lowered as well, and had no issues with vibrations, etc.

I'd team Koni STR.T with Steeda Sports (what I have as my Handling package 1 in fact) for the best ride on a lowered car with good handling. Koni Sports will only allow you to do more dialing in on the feel--I will never personally not have adjustable dampers--even on a street car only.

The least NVH comes from a PHB that has all urethane bushings. I have a number of choices there.

Steeda HD mounts are my choice. They are quiet.... Race plates use a spherical bearing that will make noise (clearly an concern giving your question about the PHB). I stock lots of the Steeda mounts and Sport springs because I use and recommend both highly. Please note however, there are technically two different Steeda Sport sets. I only will use/sell one. Other places use both interchangeably, and will fit interchangeably... but I much prefer one over the others. So much so I specify the particular set when I do my Steeda orders.

STB's will work with the Steeda HD mounts.