Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Can anything be done to help a vert handle

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Old Chuck

Default Can anything be done to help a vert handle

Looking at possibly getting a 2011 5.0 and wondering about a vert. I know in years past that the chassis was much looser then the coupe. Ford states that the 2011 vert is much stiffer but some articles still say it is not near as much fun as the coupe. I know that the vert may never do well in autoX but can anything be done to stiffen up the chassis or greatly improve handling or is the lack of structure above the beltline too much to overcome?
Old 06-04-2010, 07:14 AM
Trez83
2nd Gear Member

As a convertible owner, all I can say is "no, not really," unless you weld in a roll bar to stiffen the chassis. I will say that the convertible feels better because it has more weight over the rear and actually feels more planted than the coupe. The issue with a convertible is chassis age. My 2006 was rock solid for about 2 1/2 years, but has developed squeaks and rattles all over. Keep in mind it has 70,000 + miles on it. I'm sure if you brace the crap out of it, you can fix most of the problems, but you are just adding weight to a car that is already too fat. For outright performance, get a coupe.... For outright coolness .... Get a convertible.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Old Chuck

Default Trez83

Thanks for the reply. I had thought that might be the case. If there was something that could easily be done then I am sure that there would be a ton of aftermarket advertisement for it. Developing rattles and squeekes is not something I cherish but I can see how that could happen. I wonder if that is the norm for vert owners? I usually keep cars awhile and would not want to trade it in due to the rattles but then as you said, they can be cool. May also look at the glass top but then again, it is not a vert..
Old 06-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Old Chuck

Default Trez83

Forgot to ask. What BMR suspension parts are you using and did it make a difference?

Chuck
Old 06-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Old Chuck
May also look at the glass top but then again, it is not a vert..
Dooooo ittt
Old 06-07-2010, 02:39 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

best thing is to find a dealer with great service techs who will take care of all those rattles while the vert is under warranty. You WILL get rattles with a Mustang, vert or not, but the hassles of dealing with them should be a concern regardless of which body dtyle you get.

As far as suspension improvements, my Shelby has the upgraded Ford parts (but not the dampers) and it will out handle a stock coupe any day of the week.
So get the bigger sway bars and then go adjustable dampers for any racing needs.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:22 AM
Trez83
2nd Gear Member

I have the shock tower brace and the tubular subframe braces. Get a vert. Don't let a little thing like a rattle dissuade you. You learn to live with it real quick.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:05 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Trez83
As a convertible owner, all I can say is "no, not really," unless you weld in a roll bar to stiffen the chassis. I will say that the convertible feels better because it has more weight over the rear and actually feels more planted than the coupe. The issue with a convertible is chassis age. My 2006 was rock solid for about 2 1/2 years, but has developed squeaks and rattles all over. Keep in mind it has 70,000 + miles on it. I'm sure if you brace the crap out of it, you can fix most of the problems, but you are just adding weight to a car that is already too fat. For outright performance, get a coupe.... For outright coolness .... Get a convertible.
That pretty much sums it up...
That's why you don't see too many unibody Verts on a road course.
All the added weight will wear out your shocks and brakes/tires faster than a coupe.
So you're at a disadvantage before the green flag.

To the OP,
Now, if not racing but for a spiritual driving, a set of frame rail connectors sound like good add ons.
Lighter and more practical than a roll cage...

Last edited by pascal; 06-07-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Mpov
1st Gear Member

It's a tradeoff - the superior handling of a coupe vs. the fun of driving with the top down on a nice day. I'd take the latter any day. Glass roof is NOT a substitute.

By the way, you won't hear any rattles with the top down
Old 06-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I hate to be contrary here, but you can make a convertible handle great. The fact is the tuning on the converts is much softer than coupes (which can also be improved--we do it all the time). The chassis stiffness isn't an issue really.

I have a friend that autocrosses his convert and the chassis is stiff enough that he hoists a front tire way over a foot into the air--because the rear springs/bar is so soft (it's a stock car). If the chassis were a noodle it would not do that.

Is a convertible heavy? Yes. Is it less stiff? Yes. But it's way more rigid than say a coupe Fox or SN95 car, and folks run those!

Quick Reply: Can anything be done to help a vert handle