Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Best Suspension kit with 20" Rims?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 01:30 PM
archangel76

Default Best Suspension kit with 20" Rims?

Gents, after days of searching many forums I can't seem to get a straight answer on an issue I'm facing.

06 GT Auto Vert with 20 inch rims. I want to lower the car and increase handling. Car is a daily driver, and my goals are simply to increase handling for fun (corners, freeway stuff, etc), make the car look good, and not trash the ride quality.

I've been looking at FRPP kit, Saleen Racecraft (Basic kit), the Eibach Kit (springs, struts, swaybars) and I'm not sure which one would be best? Also, since I have 20 inch rims...any of these kits going to be an issue? Currently using 255/355Z/R20 tire type.

overall, looking for guidance on the actual driving experience of these kits and how my car would do considering it has 20s.

Money isn't the issue...more about getting the right setup.

Thanks.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:57 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by archangel76
Gents, after days of searching many forums I can't seem to get a straight answer on an issue I'm facing.

06 GT Auto Vert with 20 inch rims. I want to lower the car and increase handling. Car is a daily driver, and my goals are simply to increase handling for fun (corners, freeway stuff, etc), make the car look good, and not trash the ride quality.

I've been looking at FRPP kit, Saleen Racecraft (Basic kit), the Eibach Kit (springs, struts, swaybars) and I'm not sure which one would be best? Also, since I have 20 inch rims...any of these kits going to be an issue? Currently using 255/355Z/R20 tire type.

overall, looking for guidance on the actual driving experience of these kits and how my car would do considering it has 20s.

Money isn't the issue...more about getting the right setup.

Thanks.

You're kidding right?
Old 06-05-2010, 05:54 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by F1Fan
You're kidding right?
LOL...ditto...
There are literally thousands of posts regarding these exact questions.
Keep searching, or ask a specific question.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:16 PM
archangel76

Uh..no. I'm not kidding...I've seen plenty of threads on the full-on comparison of suspension kits vs others. But most of them are commented on by folks who don't own them or really just speculate on how they would feel. I've seen a few from folks...but I'm looking for some guidance on how these kits would feel with 20s.

Try not to trip...I reached out for guidance....not hater-aide.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:13 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

Uh..no. I'm not kidding...I've seen plenty of threads on the full-on comparison of suspension kits vs others. But most of them are commented on by folks who don't own them or really just speculate on how they would feel. I've seen a few from folks...but I'm looking for some guidance on how these kits would feel with 20s.

Try not to trip...I reached out for guidance....not hater-aide.
Try not to trip, yourself. There's nothing personal here, so don't throw out the "hate" card, just because you didn't get your "answer in a basket" that you're looking for.
Like I said before. Ask specific questions, you'll get plenty of good anaswers. Copping an attitude isn't going to help your cause.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:10 PM
archangel76

1) FRPP full kit - How will it perform on a car with 20s?

2) Eibach Pro System Plus - How will it perform on a car with 20s? How is it different than the FRPP Full Kit?

3) Saleen Racecraft Basic kit (springs, struts, front sway bar) for $799...how is it different in performance vs the other two kits above?
Old 06-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

rims...keep the overall diameter at 27" or less and you will have zero problems. your 255/35/20's are a 27" tire...so good to go.

as for drop, keep it at 1" to 1.5" max. You can go lower, but then you run into issues with tire tuck and scraping everything you look at sideways.

the guys have a point. this subject has been beat to death since 2004. I personally am going with FRPP stuff. It does ride hard though. but I bought a Mustang, so they go hand in hand IMO. Don't expect a softer ride + better handling.

I've heard nothing but good from Koni shocks + lowering springs (insert brand of choice). Add some good Lower control arms and a panhard bar. You can get away without a panhard bar, but it's really needed to recenter the axle after lowering.

IMO, this is your parts list if funds aren't really a priority, but effect is.

1. FRPP 1.25" drop springs - http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr...id=680cPath=26
2. Steeda LCA's3. Adjustable LCA Bracket - http://www.steeda.com/products/lower...n_brackets.php
4. Adjustable Panhard Bar - http://www.steeda.com/products/panhard_bar_brace.php

your car will be a whole different beast with those. Especially if you couple all of the components with good struts/shocks like the Koni's.
The stuff I linked to is just 1 option of course. Pretty much all the brands do the same thing and have the same results. I personally shoot for FRPP whenever possible.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:58 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Car is a daily driver, and my goals are simply to increase handling for fun (corners, freeway stuff, etc), make the car look good, and not trash the ride quality.
If it wasn't for the goal that I did not boldface - which I suspect is code for a significant amount of lowering - you ought to be able to meet the other two with adjustable sta-bars/Koni Sports.

Am I reading the tire sizes as 255/xx-20 front and 355/xx-20 rear? If so, IMO, that's way too much stagger for any car that has improved handling as a goal and has the engine up front. No matter what some of the "Pro-Touring" guys are doing.

I can't really comment on appearance other than indirectly. As in suggesting if you manage to get the tires tucked up behind the sheetmetal at all, expect to have traded away some ride quality and handling to get them there. IOW, if your items #1 and #3 are truly important, don't get carried away with #2.

Norm
Old 06-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
rims...keep the overall diameter at 27" or less and you will have zero problems. your 255/35/20's are a 27" tire...so good to go.

as for drop, keep it at 1" to 1.5" max. You can go lower, but then you run into issues with tire tuck and scraping everything you look at sideways.

the guys have a point. this subject has been beat to death since 2004. I personally am going with FRPP stuff. It does ride hard though. but I bought a Mustang, so they go hand in hand IMO. Don't expect a softer ride + better handling.

I've heard nothing but good from Koni shocks + lowering springs (insert brand of choice). Add some good Lower control arms and a panhard bar. You can get away without a panhard bar, but it's really needed to recenter the axle after lowering.

IMO, this is your parts list if funds aren't really a priority, but effect is.

1. FRPP 1.25" drop springs - http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/pr...id=680cPath=26
2. Steeda LCA's3. Adjustable LCA Bracket - http://www.steeda.com/products/lower...n_brackets.php
4. Adjustable Panhard Bar - http://www.steeda.com/products/panhard_bar_brace.php

your car will be a whole different beast with those. Especially if you couple all of the components with good struts/shocks like the Koni's.
The stuff I linked to is just 1 option of course. Pretty much all the brands do the same thing and have the same results. I personally shoot for FRPP whenever possible.

+ 1 .. That about sums it up..
Old 06-06-2010, 02:02 PM
archangel76

Tires are 255-35Z-R20...sorry for the typo...they are the same all the way around.

I also saw a Gt500 Strut/shock/sway bar on ebay for 99.00 (used) from GreenLeaf Prime...not sure if that would be good paired with some Steeda Ultralites?

FRPP looks really nice, but the Eibach Pro System plus on sale at the below link looks like a great deal:
http://buyloweringsprings.com/catalog/index.php

And...my apologies to those irritated by my broaching a topic that's been thoroughly vetted.

+1000 to the kind gents with great input.

Quick Reply: Best Suspension kit with 20" Rims?