Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

TPMS in a 2010 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Mustangdude75

Default TPMS in a 2010 mustang

my question is can tpms be moved over to another aftermarket rim without being reprogrammed. looking to buy some rims for my car. wanting to buy new rims and putting the stock tires back on. any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanx
Old 07-24-2010, 03:45 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Moved over, yes.
New sensors, no.
The sensors have a unique ID # to each of them.
Your OEM sensors are recognized by the vehicle cus
they were 'learned' to it by Ford.

You can 'learn' new sensors to your stang if you
dont move/use the OEMs that came trained to the stang...
Old 07-24-2010, 08:15 PM
darkhorse46

You can reuse them, but they will need to be retrained with a TPMS tool. I know this from personal experience. The TPMS tool can be had for around $20-40. Check ebay.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:12 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

If you're reusing the old sensors, you don't need to reprogram. Just be sure to put the sensors in the same position as they were before. If you ever want to rotate tires, you gotta get the tool. I know that you can get it on American Muscle or Steeda's website.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:08 PM
Mustangdude75

thanks for the info everyone.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by parchisi
Just be sure to put the sensors in the same position as they were before. If you ever want to rotate tires, you gotta get the tool.
Have they changed the TPMS with respect to training after tire rotation since the 2008 MY?

Norm
Old 07-25-2010, 01:19 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

I'll throw in my 2 cents as well . I just got a new rims with new sensors from the company just tires retrained new ones for free took about 1 mins, the tool I bought from ford $30, made front left train would not do the rest. I then had a bad front right rim. discount tire did the work for the company I got wheel from, put the sensor that was in the bad rim back into new rim had to re-train all 4. side note...also from personal experience I painted my calipers when my stock wheel were on and after I had to retrain, I only set the wheel off to side about 5 feet away. the way you can test is let about 15 lbs out drive and see if light comes on, do a rear tire not a front, if does not come on with in 30 mins not working, have trained and let air out again and test drive, mine came on in 15 mins, also you have to make sure that car has not sat still for more than 30 mins before retraining, cause they go to sleep to save batteries, the ford dealer discovered that , they let my car sit for a hour anf tried did not work, guy realized had to drive about 10 mins, that worked. good luck.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:13 PM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

I do not understand TMPS. Seems like a pain. I shouldn't have to think about such things just because I change my rims/tires. What's up with this rotation thing? Seriously, I don't need my car to tell me to check my pressure. TMPS reprogramming device? Please.... I've got enough on my plate.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Mustangdude75

Originally Posted by crescent_wrench
I do not understand TMPS. Seems like a pain. I shouldn't have to think about such things just because I change my rims/tires. What's up with this rotation thing? Seriously, I don't need my car to tell me to check my pressure. TMPS reprogramming device? Please.... I've got enough on my plate.
i know they should have just left things alone. automobile makers have been making cars since 1903 and they just now think we need this.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:28 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

here's the nice thing though which everyone thinks is going to happen, mine never blinked saying not active, np flashing warning, so unless tire was low i would never have known, so when i ran on purpose with 20 lbs in tire on purpose i knew no warning either way. so don't worry, i know manual says will flash, mine never did.

Quick Reply: TPMS in a 2010 mustang