Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Please give me your advise. Best struts/shocks for lowered ride quality.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Somewhere in Time

Default Please give me your advise. Best struts/shocks for lowered ride quality.

I thought I had my mind set on D-Specs but have read some negative things lately.

What is your opinion on the absolute best ride quality strut/shock for my GT.

2006 with Prokit and 20" wheels.

Thank you,
Alex
Old 08-03-2010, 11:26 AM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

I'm thrilled with my Koni and Steeda Sport combo....rides better than stock and worlds better as far as handling goes. Car is very responsive. Also got rid of all wheel-hop issues.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:21 PM
TreyR
1st Gear Member

I have the same setup and couldn't be happier great ride and handling.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:21 AM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

What negative things have you read about the D-specs? Just curious because I installed them on mine not too long ago. I myself have no complaints relating to ride quality, in fact after installing Steeda Comp springs with the D-Specs, I was kinda hard pressed to notice much of a difference from stock at first with the struts/shocks set to 5 turns from full firm. In fact, I think if you go full soft, they are even softer than stock. After a long road trip I did realize that the ride is bumpier than stock, but I think its still very liveable, especially if you soften them up even more.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Somewhere in Time

Originally Posted by parchisi
What negative things have you read about the D-specs? Just curious because I installed them on mine not too long ago. I myself have no complaints relating to ride quality, in fact after installing Steeda Comp springs with the D-Specs, I was kinda hard pressed to notice much of a difference from stock at first with the struts/shocks set to 5 turns from full firm. In fact, I think if you go full soft, they are even softer than stock. After a long road trip I did realize that the ride is bumpier than stock, but I think its still very liveable, especially if you soften them up even more.
I have read that a few people have experienced strut leaks at 10K-12K miles. Also, Tokico's warranty is supposed to be horrible.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a set of Koni streets and Steeda sport springs from Sam Strano.

I will have an Eibach Prokit with literally less than 100 miles for sale in a few weeks. Let me know if you want it.

Thanks
Old 08-04-2010, 12:05 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

yep, that is about as good as it gets fro comfort, i used the koni yellows and am very happy with the ride. What part of TX you from BTW.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:53 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Well, I guess I'll cross my fingers that my Tokicos hold up.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:06 PM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

I'm running Koni Strts/ Steeda Sport springs and they are very good, not too hard, or really different from stock in comfort, but does handle way better.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I noticed a recent post of someone's Koni Sport rear leaking after 12k miles. I have 40k on a set of D-Specs and not a problem so far, still work like new. I guess you get what you get. I'll likely go with Koni Sports when these wear out just because of the better 'claimed' damping they offer.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
I noticed a recent post of someone's Koni Sport rear leaking after 12k miles. I have 40k on a set of D-Specs and not a problem so far, still work like new. I guess you get what you get. I'll likely go with Koni Sports when these wear out just because of the better 'claimed' damping they offer.
And how often have you read such a thing about Koni's? Not very. And in the end, Koni will cover it.... Tokico is a lot more sketchy about covering their stuff.

I don't hate D-specs, but I prefer Koni's. I sell both, and I think I have pretty good pricing on each when shipping is figured, etc. I also sell Bilsteins and Steeda's Pro-Action too.

Quick Reply: Please give me your advise. Best struts/shocks for lowered ride quality.