Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

are my swaybars too stiff?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 08:44 AM
scapegoat
2nd Gear Member

Default are my swaybars too stiff?

so months ago i put on eibach sway bars, front adjustable, rear nonadjustable.

coming off the turn pile around a sharp turn at a decent speed i notice that the outside tire seems to start to jump a little. it makes a noise that sound like it's loosing traction every other second, so a little squeak of rubber on and off and this causes the outside tire to feel as though it is bouncing...

i presume this is due to the sway bar being in the middle stiffness setting and causing the outside spring to compress too much?

the suspension is otherwise stock on this 2010 gt. i'm going to be regreasing the bushing and figured this would be a good time to consider changing the setting of the front.

does this sound like a reasonable cause to the tire not holding through a tight turn like this? or should i look at something else?
Old 08-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scapegoat
so months ago i put on eibach sway bars, front adjustable, rear nonadjustable.

coming off the turn pile around a sharp turn at a decent speed i notice that the outside tire seems to start to jump a little. it makes a noise that sound like it's loosing traction every other second, so a little squeak of rubber on and off and this causes the outside tire to feel as though it is bouncing...

i presume this is due to the sway bar being in the middle stiffness setting and causing the outside spring to compress too much?

the suspension is otherwise stock on this 2010 gt. i'm going to be regreasing the bushing and figured this would be a good time to consider changing the setting of the front.

does this sound like a reasonable cause to the tire not holding through a tight turn like this? or should i look at something else?

Did you have an alignment done to have neg camber? I am not an expert but sounds like if u didn't have that done that could be some of the problem?

I have a 2010 and bought my Suspension from Sam Strano. koni STRT Struts and shocks, and Steeda springs. Had my alignment set at -1.2 camber and it corners like its on rails.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:29 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Stiffer sways should load the springs LESS during cornering, not more. When the body rolls through the corner, the outside of the car goes down as the inside raises up. When this happens, it puts torsion on the sway bar which tries to pull the inside back down and the outside back up which reduces the amount of force that your springs have to bear.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:33 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

It wasn't clear to me at first, but it seems like the bouncing you are experiencing is understeer. Understeer happens when you loose grip with your front tires. There are two things that may be causing your understeer. The first is that you may have your front swaybar too stiff. Decreasing stiffness on the front bar will reduce understeer. The second is that you may just be trying to carry too much speed into the corner. Is this happening mainly at the beginning of the corner? If so, its most likely understeer and most of the time you can feel it when it shakes the steering wheel violently in a "bouncing" motion.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Shocks & struts?

Tire pressures?

What condition is the road in where this happened, or is it pretty much all the time?

I wouldn't have thought that the OE dampers on a car only about a year old would be unable to cope with a bit more bar.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-08-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:07 PM
sicride
2nd Gear Member

To me this sounds most like sidewall flex, do you have the stock tires on it? What psi are they set at? What happens in a hard corner is the tire will actually bend where the contact patch will be further towards the inside of the corner than the wheel itself. The rubber then tries to return to it's natural state and will bounce back leaving contact with the ground momentarily. It's the exact same thing as with wheel hop. In this case there's not a lot you can do about it except don't push it that hard in that corner. Stiffer sidewalls and higher air pressure will reduce this as well. I doubt it has to do with the shocks but you could be on to something there too.