Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Stock front springs + aftermarket rears?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 03:02 PM
ReverseTime
1st Gear Member

Default Stock front springs + aftermarket rears?

Long story short, roads around here suck. Lowering the front any more than it already is would spell disaster for my CDC Classic. So I was wondering if anyone has kept the stock fronts and went with maybe the FRPP or Eibach Pro Kit rear springs? Looking for about 1.5" lower on the rear to get rid of the rake.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:43 PM
JimC

I kept my front stock and put the Roush springs in the rear. Leveled out the stance nicely, but I was surprised that it dropped my rear almost 1.5", I was expecting only a 3/4" drop.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:47 PM
seanh1150

I Have the Ford Racing springs all around, and I decided to take out the fronts, now I only have the rear.

To me it looks and sits more level.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:54 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
I kept my front stock and put the Roush springs in the rear. Leveled out the stance nicely, but I was surprised that it dropped my rear almost 1.5", I was expecting only a 3/4" drop.
Same here, and I hate it. I want a new set all the way around.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:30 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

FWIW . . .

Swapping only the rear springs will affect the highway ride quality (more front to back head toss) and will "loosen" the handling by a small amount.

These are small effects that you might only barely notice or not notice at all. The smaller amount of understeer won't change, but the "head toss" will get more noticeable as the shocks and struts age and don't damp as well as they do when new.

OP - dropping the rear 1.5" and leaving the front alone is going to give you a "tail-dragger" appearance just like what 1960's Mustangs get once the leaf springs sag. Nose is noticeably higher than the trunk and your headlights are looking up into the trees/searching for low-flying aircraft. Do you really want the car to look like that?

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-08-2010 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:36 AM
ReverseTime
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
OP - dropping the rear 1.5" and leaving the front alone is going to give you a "tail-dragger" appearance just like what 1960's Mustangs get once the leaf springs sag. Nose is noticeably higher than the trunk and your headlights are looking up into the trees/searching for low-flying aircraft. Do you really want the car to look like that?

Norm
Thanks for the information guys. The guesstimate of 1.5" was an eyeball that apparently is quite off. I'll get a tape out there late on and figure out what will actually level it out and order accordingly. I already have a set of Koni SRT.T shocks/struts sitting in the garage waiting to replace my fairly worn out stockers. Just wanted to do everything at once.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:19 PM
JimC

I don't think it came out with the tail dragger appearance with the Roush springs:

Last edited by JimC; 08-08-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:41 PM
BillQ

Wanna know what the car will look like at different heights? Put enough weight over your rear end to see how it looks at various dropped height levels.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:38 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
FWIW . . .

Swapping only the rear springs will affect the highway ride quality (more front to back head toss) and will "loosen" the handling by a small amount.

These are small effects that you might only barely notice or not notice at all. The smaller amount of understeer won't change, but the "head toss" will get more noticeable as the shocks and struts age and don't damp as well as they do when new.

Norm
Thats exactly what I was thinking when he said putting the pro-kit rear springs in, you gotta do all 4 if you're gonna do that. I would go with the Roush rears if you just want the rear lowered, I have the pro-kit all the way around with a CDC classic and its not that bad at all and my roads aren't that great either.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:04 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
I don't think it came out with the tail dragger appearance with the Roush springs:

Ehh the back does look lower then the front.

Quick Reply: Stock front springs + aftermarket rears?