Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:04 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

S197 Brake Tech Q&A with an FRPP Engineer

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Default S197 Brake Tech Q&A with an FRPP Engineer

This is really useful information so i thought Ii would share it here

http://s197forum.com/forum/showthrea...591#post594591
Old 08-06-2010, 03:33 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Colin. Good info.

Cheers.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Colin - that must make you feel good about your GT500 Brembos...LOL.

When I first started doing track days, I remember adding my 2 cents to many discussions on brakes that went something like this "The OEM brakes work very well given a few simple/cheap upgrades: pads, SS lines, fluid and ducts". And indeed, the first 30 or so track days this exact setup worked just fine and I was very happy. But over time as my ability and pace picked up I became less and less satisfied with the OEM units. Its not that they don't stop the car because they do, at least at my level of driving (HPDE Level 4 Advanced). Only one time have I had to take the exit ramp off a corner due to brakes. The problem is as you push them harder and harder they have horrible feel, leading to a lack of confidence in them. The pedal is mushy, regardless of pad or fluid and I wear the pads out way too quick, resulting in a long pedal. The slide-rail design flexes and the pads taper something awful.

So, I finally bit the bullet and ordered a real brake system. Check these bad boys out (AP Racing Calipers). These are true racing calipers, complete with SS pistons, anti-kickback springs, high temp seals, etc. I also got a set of very trick 2-piece rotors with Coleman rings and custom brackets to fit my track car. Should be here in the next week. Looking forward to trying them out.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
Colin - that must make you feel good about your GT500 Brembos...LOL.
Yes it does - especially as my car is still a year round DD.

Last edited by Sleeper_08; 08-06-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

good info..... after i upgraded. i probably would have stuck with my decision though.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Team STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the kudos on the AP Racing systems. We went through months of engineering to get the rear kit right and we feel that this is truly the best system available for any c-clip rear straight axle car! We are having a promotion on the front and rear AP kits this month as well as our new J-Hook design direct replacement rotors for the GT500s. PM or email for details!!!

http://www.stillen.com/specials_american.asp

Please CALL IN to take advantage of our incredible tech assistance and ordering!
Old 08-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

I'll throw my hat in with Argo on what I've recommended/experienced for brakes. I still think that for the huge majority of folks who will either never track their car, track it only occasionally, or just started tracking it that you are best off with an upgraded OEM system. There's a lot of room for growth in it.

Yet like Argo said, there comes a time when you want more out of your brakes. The guy who just started taking his car out to a track and wants to make sure he's got the brakes for it isn't there yet (and the money is best spent on seat time). I went with a Stoptech system, and so far I am enjoying re-learning the car's braking potential.

Best,
-j
Old 08-08-2010, 02:58 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

Great info on the Ford racing brake set ups, Thanks. It's posts like that, that make me realize that I'm shooting for the lightest, most efficiently powered (SCed), best stopping street car I can have in my 06' Mustang GT, with occasional open track events.

It is too frustrating to want both. Racing simply takes you in a direction a street car can not follow really. Too much money, and too many risks and ride compromises if you still primarily love cruising around town. Erik

Last edited by eolson; 08-08-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:26 AM
TennTex

Argonaut,

I grinned reading your post above about the need to upgrade the brakes... I think we shared some comments on a brake pad thread sometime in the last year. I've been trying to get my stock brakes to stop with Carbotech XP-10's (F) & 8's (R) for a couple years. I added brake ducts first, then SS lines, and finally lost all confidence in them. In fact, I've only gone to one track event this year in the spring, and afterwards told myself that I would NOT go to another event with these brakes!

I started HPDE's with a BMW, so when I changed to my Shelby GT, I had to "re-learn" how to drive the car. So, after 3~4 track events I was pushing the stock brake system too hard.

I just moved, and will not be able to upgrade until later, so I'll have to wait until next spring to get back out. I'm looking at the Stoptech setup. I'll also have to upgrade from the Bullet wheels (which I'm not crazy about anyway, and the crappy KDWS tires. (Why the heck are all season tires on a Shelby??) I would like the GT-40 style wheels, but they are expensive. I'm looking at the '05~'08 GT500 wheels, as I THINK the calipers will clear, they are strong wheels, and relatively inexpensive. (I had a buddy crack a dual-spoke style wheel in a Caddy CTS-V on his first HPDE event.) So, I don't want cheap wheels under me.

Thanks to all, I learn a lot whenever I jump on. I just don't get to spend much time on here, nor post too much.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:04 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Hey TennTex,

The GT500 wheels will definitely clear the Stoptech wheels. I have Stoptech's 14" bbk system (ST-40 calipers), and I've confirmed other fitments:
- 5zigen FN01R-C (18x9.5, +35mm offset, 23 lbs)
- Enkei PF01 (18x9.5, +35mm offset, 20 lbs)
- Rota DPT (18x9, +30 mm offset, 22 lbs)

There are a ton of other wheels that will work, are light weight, not terribly expensive, and strong (the newer "rotary forged" process is doing wonders for wheel cost/strength). When hunting for wheels, if it will clear the OEM Brembos, it'll clear the Stoptech ST-40s. So you should have a good spread to pick from.

Best,
-j

Quick Reply: S197 Brake Tech Q&A with an FRPP Engineer