Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Autocrossing my 5.0.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Default Autocrossing my 5.0.

Mod related because it's got different parts on it. Wheels, shocks, endlinks, brake pads, exhaust system, etc.

http://www.stranoparts.com/videos.php?VideoID=7
Old 08-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

As always Sam it is a pleasure watching you drive.

Good luck at the Nationals.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Thanks Colin.... I'll need the luck. It was a hard decision to make taking the new car vs. the known commodity in the Shelby with so little setup time. But I think I've got it working pretty well.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:27 PM
Raymax

Nice video!

I saw the basic list of mods, would you mind giving the specifics on what parts you used?
Old 08-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Interesting video, sadly takes forever for me to view content like this. 5.0 sounds nice with your selection of exhaust Sam. I wish I knew more about what I am seeing in the video, does this setup beat your Shelby or is your Shelby still faster ?
Old 08-25-2010, 08:10 PM
azrampage
1st Gear Member

Default What Shocks?

I'm not seeing AST shocks listed on Sam's website.......yet.

Why not Konis? What front swaybar?

Inquiring yet supportive minds want to know........

This is the first video I've got of me autocrossing my 2011 Brembo package Mustang. Next to last shake down before leaving for the 2010 Solo Nationals in Lincoln, NE.

Car is setup with AST dampers, a different front swaybar, Strano Performance Parts Competition swaybar endlinks, Forgeline wheels, Hoosier tires, and a Magnaflow exhaust w/X-pipe and Ferodo DS2500 brake pads.

Thank you to Martin Valent for the footage.
Originally Posted by Raymax
Nice video!

I saw the basic list of mods, would you mind giving the specifics on what parts you used?
Old 08-26-2010, 11:48 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I have Koni's too. For me it's about every few thousandths of a second, and I wanted the lighter, inverted rears, and monotube design of the AST with the adjustment.

If you are interested in AST's, just ask. They aren't on the site at this time because I'm finalizing some valving with information from this car vs. the Shelby before. Pricing depends on options, but they start at a bit over $2100/set. And frankly the Koni's are 97% as good for a lot less. But for those looking for what I'm looking for, that 3% matters.....

As for setup details--that's always tough. I can't give away the farm to random folks. I do give my setup information to my customers because I just think that's the right thing to do when they support me, I need to support them.

Without getting into fine details, the car has AST shocks/struts. A not-stock front bar, a set of adjustable front endlinks, X-pipe back exhaust, Ferodo DS2500 brake pads, the alignment is done, and I have a lap-belt in it too.

I've had only one chance to back to back it with the Shelby, that day this car was faster. Until it lost power. That's fixed now, and I've been monkeying with it setup wise since then, but time, weather and tires have kept me from another back to back test. But the two times I've run against known commodities in SGT's, I've held my own. I wouldn't be taking this car to Nationals if I thought I'd be dead meat. But it remains to be see how exactly it'll pan out.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:32 PM
adidas04
2nd Gear Member

I want to be Sam Strano when i grow up....

but seriously man, i plan to hang out here in the handling section a lot of learn from the likes of you and the other guys that road race... i cant get enough of it.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Um, thank you.

I wanted to be John Ames when I grew up.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:40 AM
wishIcould
1st Gear Member

That is great. I am thinking about picking up a 5.0 next year and then autoxing it. In that vid you are maked as fs don't those mods move you out of stock?
Keep us posted on how things go.

Quick Reply: Autocrossing my 5.0.