Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Brembo GT vs. M3--the video..

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

It depends on what you want. Frankly, I think the M3 is a really nice car, and I get to drive a lot of cars with my teaching Evolution autocross schools. Been in Chrysler test-mule Vipers, F430's, Porsche GT3's and Turbo's, etc.

Are the seats better in an M3? Yep. So is the shifter. But is that worth $25k more to me? I don't think so. I'm a car guy my best friend had an E36 M3 and I loved driving that car. I'm even thinking of a 325is I know of with high miles for a winter car (because it'd be fun). But I can tell you that love this 2011 car vs. my 2007.

Is anyone really going to cross-shop the two cars? Don't think so, but it's fun to compare.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I test drove the 135i back in 07' and nearly purchased one. http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...024/LATESTNEWS Great car, twin turbo 6, 3400 lbs. but it would have taken a great deal more investment to have as much fun with it as I've had with the mustang.

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 08-27-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:02 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

The whole argument isn't that the bimmer is junk because we're on a Mustang Forum...
It's just not worth $25K more.

Ford got it right in 05 (despite retaining a solid axle)) and it's obvious they built that car with more inclined cornering abilities.

Now let's hope that the next platform comes a bit smaller and better shocks on the GT.
Then it's turn key and *** kicking right out of the lot.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

That would hurt the aftermarket, who is known to work 'closely' with Ford. I think Ford purposely builds an underacheiver with the mustang so we can make it better...perfect ;-).

They just did a better job than usual on the 11'.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:23 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

very interesting, I never thought about comparing those two but stat wise they really are pretty evenly matched. seems like the mustang just comes from the factory with a less track ready suspension than the BMW does.

also I wonder what the factory tires were on the stang, I'd be willing to bet the BMW comes with stickier rubber from the factory than the stang does.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:32 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
I test drove the 135i back in 07' and nearly purchased one. http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...024/LATESTNEWS Great car, twin turbo 6, 3400 lbs. but it would have taken a great deal more investment to have as much fun with it as I've had with the mustang.
I looked at the 335i coupe for a little, awesome car, much nicer car than the stang as far as creature comforts and gadgets but very expensive new. with any of the BMW's with the turbo inline six, 135, 335, and 535, you can make them pretty quick with just intake, exhaust, and a tune. especially on the little 135's, you can get 400whp and high 11's with those few mods.

but they're a lot more than the mustang so if you're just looking at performance it's hard to justify getting the M3 (or 335i) as far as bang for the buck. take price out the equation and I don't think too many people would take the stang over the BMW. that's not saying the stang sucks, it's just saying it's not as nice as the BMW.

it would be interesting to compare a 335i with the tune vs the new 5.0. a 335i with the tune would match the power of the 5.0 almost perfectly and have more torque than the M3 which is what the driver was complaining about out of the turns.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by candymanjl
very interesting, I never thought about comparing those two but stat wise they really are pretty evenly matched. seems like the mustang just comes from the factory with a less track ready suspension than the BMW does.

also I wonder what the factory tires were on the stang, I'd be willing to bet the BMW comes with stickier rubber from the factory than the stang does.
Brembo GT's are on some pretty sticky PZero's (summer only and a very performance oriented tire). The BMW is on some sticky Michelin Pilot Sports. Very similar type tires.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:49 PM
CliffyDeuce
1st Gear Member

A lot of people mention that they don't think people will be cross-shopping the BMWs and Mustang, but that's exactly where I find myself. I really like the 3-series as well as the Mustang, and right now they're the front-runners as I plan to buy a car next year. It'll really come down to the value I think each gives for what I want out of a car that will primarily be a daily driver.

Last time, the choice ended up between a new 335i and the Mustang - I bought a year and a half old GT for less than half what the 335 would have cost (no used ones at the time, as it was the first year they were out). It'll be a more difficult decision this time.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:41 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CliffyDeuce
Last time, the choice ended up between a new 335i and the Mustang - I bought a year and a half old GT for less than half what the 335 would have cost (no used ones at the time, as it was the first year they were out). It'll be a more difficult decision this time.
Used 335i's out there in the $20's now
Old 08-29-2010, 10:24 AM
CliffyDeuce
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by candymanjl
Used 335i's out there in the $20's now
And that only makes the decision harder...cause I do love the new Mustangs, too...

Quick Reply: Brembo GT vs. M3--the video..