Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Brembo GT vs. M3--the video..

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Drinking it?? I'm living it man. For the first time in about a year I took my car out for a long drive this weekend...just because. Driving it is that much more enjoyable now.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:28 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
After riding around with a watts link for a few days I can wholeheartedly say that the new mustang with koni's or d-specs and a watts link would make mincemeat of that M3. This watts link is nothing short of amazing what it does for the car. Lowered my rear roll center and this thing turns and takes road irregularities like nobody's business. Night and day difference over the panhard...and I had a pretty good panhard bar back there.
Wait until you try it on the track.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
My car had a bad crank sensor, and the cams would intermittently go to home position. Also the misfire profile wasn't set correctly causing huge drops in power anytime the car got hot.
I can see where that would be a big problem the way the new VVTi functions. It senses valvespring forces to advace/retard the cams instead of the 3V's oil pressure setup and the accuracy of the cam/crank sensors have to be perfect.

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
Wait until you try it on the track.
For the first time I've actually WANTED to get this car on a track. Feels like it needs better brakes and more horsepower now with the chassis sorted out. About 700 would do.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:35 PM
ohskigod
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kobie
I'm glad to see someone else drinking the Watts Link kool-aid!!

another drinker here, god it's delicious!!!!!!

for big guys that like driving in the twisties but can't wedge into a 370z or some other tiny roadster, thus having a need to make a Mustang feel great in turns of all kinds, the Watts link is a frikken godsend (albeit a pricey as hell one)

I would love for the driver in that video to drive that same Mustang with a watts link and see what he thinks over that bumpy section

Last edited by ohskigod; 09-14-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:40 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

It would be interesting to see how much faster the Mustang would be after putting Konis on it, keeping everything else the same.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I think more than a lot faster, it'd be a lot easier to drive fast. I'd expect some time to come off just because it's more stable and easier to drive and keep near the limit. That's why I do shocks first thing on my cars. Hard to put a time on it, especially on a road course as they, more than autocrosses benefit power and brakes and you can better get by with maybe sub-par control. I mean 8 or 12 corners in miles worth of space just doesn't work things as hard. Also the less smooth and nice the track the more you'd see a difference.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:13 AM
SlideWRX
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by zero2sixd
I'm not sure I would question Randy Pobst and whether he can extract the most out of each car. If he didn't use second gear, it was because it was faster to stay in third. The guy knows how to drive just about anything and he is probably the most impartial racing driver they could have chosen.
Pobst himself would question it. If he were competing he would run it both ways and see what the clock told him to do. He didn't get to see his lap times or any breakdown of perforance until after.

Regardless, It sounds like a good pair of shock would have let him keep his speed up in transitions and corners a bit more.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:49 PM
steelcomp
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SlideWRX
Pobst himself would question it. If he were competing he would run it both ways and see what the clock told him to do. He didn't get to see his lap times or any breakdown of perforance until after.

Regardless, It sounds like a good pair of shock would have let him keep his speed up in transitions and corners a bit more.
That right there IMO will do more than a watts link. Put a watts link on a car without changing the shocks and it'll probably make quite a difference. Switch from a ph bar to a watts link on a car that's already very well set up and I'm not sure the difference would be as dramatic, especially on a smooth race course. On the street, maybe. I know in my '07 the place it really seems to accell is fast, bumpy corners. That's all in the shocks. It seems that it just digs it the harder I push it, and it's never stepped out on me unless I wanted it to. Pretty darn impressive handling car for what it is...that's with a ph bar, not a watts link. Extremely confidence inspiring.