Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Spring rates for 2011 GT Brembo brake Package

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 06:50 PM
lawman1
1st Gear Member

Default Spring rates for 2011 GT Brembo brake Package

I have some experience modifying Mustangs and on my 2006 i went with Steeda Sport Springs and Toico D-Spec, The ride was extremely harsh here on the HORRIBLE roads of L.A. Had to go back to stock because it hurt my back. Now I'm relying on hope over experience because I want to lower my 2011 as it looks like a 4 wheeler. Can Anybody tell me what my stock spring rates are and what lowering spring I can go to that will be as close to stock as possible. Steeda Ultralites maybe. I know SAM recommends the Steeda Sports and Konis , but to me a similar setup was really harsh. He has indicatd he has the "right" Steeda Sport Springs. I need some quantitative data on Springs to make this decision. Sam I'm a potential customer, but if someody else can answer my question I'd appreciate it.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

My 08 has Steeda Competition springs and is used as both a DD and for track days. The first 2 1/2 seasons I ran Tokico D-Specs and then half way through this season switched to Koni Yellows (adjustables).

The main thing I can say about the Koni's is that they are significantly less "harsh" even though they are set to nearly full hard and on the street my Tokico's were set to nearly full soft.

Since the installing the Koni's I'm much happier driving the car as a DD and some of our roads in Toronto are pretty bad. On the track they are also great.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:12 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

OEM GT ................L ...............165............L................... .142
05-09

OEM GT Vert...........L ...............144................L............... 122
05-09

OEM GT ................? ...............?................?................. .....?

OEM GT Vert ..........? ...............?................?................. .....?

OEM GT500 ...........L ...............190.............L.................. .166
07-09

OEM GT500 ...........? ...............?................?................. ....?

H&R Supersport.......P. ............?-275 ...........P ................?-245

Steeda Ultralights ...L ...............195 ............L ...................175

Steeda Sport .........L ...............200 .............L ...................175

Steeda Comp .........L ...............225 .............L ...................185

FFRP K Springs* ......P ............173-239 .........P ..............195-236

Ebach Pro* ............P ............173-239 .........P ..............195-236

Ebach Sportline .......L .........Way Too Stiff, FOR RACE USE ONLY!!

BMR (pn SP009) .......P ..........160……............ L ..................140

CDC Ford Motorsport kit lowers one inch. front 185........rear 165
Old 09-29-2010, 05:36 AM
lawman1
1st Gear Member

The chart helps but how come we have a complete absence of data on the spring rates of 2010 and 2011 GT's. I can't find it anywhere but I know someone knows someone who knows this info or how to get it. Help me out and contribute to the knowledge. Thanks for the help so far. i do question just how much good shocks can soften the harshness of comp springs but I would love to drive that car with the Koni's and become a believer.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Harshness is mostly a high suspension velocity and frequency thing.

Spring forces respond mainly to changes in suspension position, not so much to how rapidly that happens. I suppose that there is a small contribution from the spring resonating on its own, but having almost any kind of isolation between the spring and the chassis removes much of whatever small amount of "sting" comes from this effect. I suspect that most aftermarket springs for general use aren't much more than 50% stiffer than OE.

It's the dampers that respond to suspension velocity - the units for damping are specifically "force per unit velocity" as in lbs per in/second (which you might see written as lb-sec/in after doing the algebra). Very large damper forces at high suspension velocities are possible even though the actual suspension movements are quite small.

Dampers can be designed to "bleed off" excessive damping at higher suspension velocities, and how well this is accomplished without giving up too much control at the lower suspension velocities is part of how "harsh" a given damper feels.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 09-29-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

A few points. I know the 2011 Brembo GT rates (but am not at liberty to post them publicly). Also there are number of errors on that spring rate chart.

I sort of doubt that 2005-2009 GT fronts are stiffer than 2011 Brembo fronts. Also BMR rears aren't linear (despite what they claim because they don't have a clue really), the shape and variable diameter of the spring means the rate in those coils will change. Part of figuring spring rate in a formula is the spring diameter, if it's not a constant the rate varies some. They are more linear than truly progressive, but where do you draw the line? And Steeda Ultralites are not linear (they do have a linear working rate however) and I take issue with the oft-quoted 195/175 numbers and find it amazing folks don't seem to get that it'd be redundant for those to exist with one type of Steeda Sports having a 200/175 rate (which is correct).

Anyway, to the OP. If you'd like some help, feel free to call me @ 814-849-3450. I know the 2011 Brembo rates, and how they compare to other springs and would also need to discuss shock settings, findings and other things on the car (like wheels/tires, pressures, etc) to be able to really help you out.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Just1Guy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
A few points. I know the 2011 Brembo GT rates (but am not at liberty to post them publicly).
Top Secret STOCK spring rates? Cut it out, That’s ridiculous, but not surprising from you. Just another chance for Sam to self promote how cool he is.

Also there are number of errors on that spring rate chart.
Then correct the ones that are wrong and actually post something helpful opposed propping up your “legend”.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

All right f*ck-head.. What are the stock spring rates? How fine were the spring rates tuned? Do you know the size of the bars on the car (right down to wall thickness)?

I'll be waiting for your report. I've *HAD IT* with you and your sniping. Show some ***** you little troll. You continually say stupid stuff, claim you know it all. Never post your name, or anything else tangible. When you get run out on a rail with your old screen name with this sort of crap you come back with a new one. I'm as sure as I can be given your shady, under a rock nature that you are Legion5.... Course we don't know because he like you, would never say anything of substance.

Go ahead, keep on attacking me. I'm up for it you just make my phone ring more because I get more chances to show what I know. I guess I should thank you.....
Old 10-04-2010, 09:27 PM
lawman1
1st Gear Member

Default This is what drove me off the forums last time.

There are idiots in this forum and others who talk ****. Principally they write things they would never say to the person's face. Because if they did say it in the way they write it, chances are they would get punched in the mouth. It is gross disrespect plain and simple and nothing bothers me more. Not just this last post directed against Sam but others as well. If we disagree we must do so agreeably. Showing respect to the other person no matter how stupid they might seem.

I grew up in a working class neighborhood and was fortunate enough to learn this lesson early. I swear to God that even at 47 years old, I read some stuff on here that makes me want to kick someone's *** even when the comments are not directed at me. I don't need to defend Sam. he is just a businessman and I expect him to promote his business. Here is a lesson in logic for those of you who do not know how to argue appropriately.

IRAC

1) Issue: State the issue. ie. Eibach Springs are better than Steeda Springs.

2) Rule: State the rule: ie. The best springs for street application are those that provide the best comkpromise between comfort and handling.

3) Analysis: Provide your reasoning preferably backed up with facts rather than opinion and when possibnle cite your sources. ie. Eibach Springs have the following spring rates _____________. This rate is superior for the following reasons ________________.

4) Conclusion: State your conclusion based on the above without insulting, belittling, humiliating, denigrating or otherwise pissing off the person you are replying to.

How hard is that?

Last edited by lawman1; 10-15-2010 at 02:51 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:31 PM
lawman1
1st Gear Member

Sorry about the typos. Unfortunately I don't know how or if I can edit the post.

Quick Reply: Spring rates for 2011 GT Brembo brake Package