Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Big Brakes with Shelby Razors?

Old 10-01-2010, 01:56 AM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Default Big Brakes with Shelby Razors?

Does anyone know of a Big Brake kit that would work with the 20 inch Shelby Razors? I have not been able to find any. I am told that the Roush and the GT 500 calipers will not clear.

I would actually like to drop back to an 18 inch wheel and I really like the Razor looks. If there is no big brakes that will go with my 20's then I might as well drop back to 18's since I got the 20's thinking I would add a big brake kit later.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-01-2010, 07:16 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

You might already know this but just in case: aftermarket calipers like the Brembos from the GT 500 are radial calipers. They have pistons on both sides of the rotor. The OEM calipers have two pistons on the inside of the rotor and none on the outside. So the Brembos and other aftermarket calipers are wider than the OEM units and this is what causes the problems when finding wheels to fit. In other words, the spokes of many wheels are to close to the rotor and there is not enough room to get the Brembo calipers in there without hitting the spokes. Adding spacers are one option, the push the whole wheel out thus giving more room. But lots of guys don't like spacers and they frequently require longer wheel studs. The only way you are going to know if a certain caliper will fit behind those wheels is to either find someone who has the same wheel and a BBK or to measure for yourself. Most manufacturers publish the info you need. For example, both Stoptech and Wilwood have a fitment template you can print out and then hold up next to your rotor to see for yourself if the caliper will fit. If I was you I'd check out the Wilwood SL6 calipers, they are the narrowest of the aftermarket calipers. But...I'm not certain they come with a 14" rotor, which you will certainly want for those 20" wheels (you want to "fill" the wheel with rotor I'm assuming).

HTH, Brad
Old 10-01-2010, 03:30 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
You might already know this but just in case: aftermarket calipers like the Brembos from the GT 500 are radial calipers. They have pistons on both sides of the rotor. The OEM calipers have two pistons on the inside of the rotor and none on the outside. So the Brembos and other aftermarket calipers are wider than the OEM units and this is what causes the problems when finding wheels to fit. In other words, the spokes of many wheels are to close to the rotor and there is not enough room to get the Brembo calipers in there without hitting the spokes. Adding spacers are one option, the push the whole wheel out thus giving more room. But lots of guys don't like spacers and they frequently require longer wheel studs. The only way you are going to know if a certain caliper will fit behind those wheels is to either find someone who has the same wheel and a BBK or to measure for yourself. Most manufacturers publish the info you need. For example, both Stoptech and Wilwood have a fitment template you can print out and then hold up next to your rotor to see for yourself if the caliper will fit. If I was you I'd check out the Wilwood SL6 calipers, they are the narrowest of the aftermarket calipers. But...I'm not certain they come with a 14" rotor, which you will certainly want for those 20" wheels (you want to "fill" the wheel with rotor I'm assuming).

HTH, Brad
Thanks for the info. Yes, I know that the big brakes have pistons on the outside. Yes, I want to fill the wheel with the brake. It looks funny now with the small rotor and caliper and the 20's. What I am seriously confused by is the following:

I originally wanted to go with 18 inch Razors because I like the look of a little more tire on the Mustang, plus they will ride better. But I was told by GAS (where I bought the wheels) that the 18's could not house a big brake setup, which I also wanted. So I went with the 20 inch Razors so that I could later (now) fit the larger brake setup in.

Now as I have been shopping for the big brakes, which I was planning on the FRPP kit, I have had conflicting stories. Some say they will fit, some say no they wont.

I was on the American Muscle webistie looking at the Razors and they specifically state on the website that the GT500 and Roush brakes will NOT fit.

But if I go to Cruizin Concepts and look at the Razor wheels, they specifically state that the Razors WILL fit the GT500.

Is there any way to tell other than to find a GT500 or Roush car and try and put my wheel on there?

When I look at the wheel, there seems to be a lot of room in there, especially since the design of the Razors seem to protrude out on the spokes for brake clearance.

I'm confused and not sure how to be positive before I spend money on a brake setup.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

It sucks that you are getting conflicting info...what a pain. Assuming you don't find someone with your specific rims and the specific calipers you want then you are going to have to measure for yourself. There are guys on here with the GT500 Brembo's, Stoptech and Baer. They all can measure how far it is from the face of the rotor to the outermost side of the caliper and tell you that measurement. You can measure how far from the face of the rotor to the innermost part of your rims. This will get you close (it might not be exact because the rotors could be different thickness). Or, here is the link to the stoptech site that talks about how to measure wheel fitment: http://stoptech.com/tech_info/wheel_fitment.shtml. The Stoptech are a great setup, but more expensive than the GT500 brembos.

Last edited by Argonaut; 10-01-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Superbender
1st Gear Member

I have 20 razors with brembos works/looks great

Old 10-01-2010, 10:56 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for all of the help.

With your Brembos and Razors - Is there a specific offset that needs to be ordered perhaps? I notice that (I think) the Razors come in three different offsets.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:34 AM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

i believe the Baer pro kit (not extreme) will fit behind the shelby razors. i have a project book with a picture of that pairing. im not sure if they used spacers though.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:05 AM
Superbender
1st Gear Member

No spacers here just proper back spaceing.I will check it out in my notes if you need to know but rim shop should be able to help you as well
Old 10-02-2010, 01:15 PM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

I saw the Baer brakes an a shelby today with razors installed.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:29 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Hey guys,

Thank you all for the help. It is frustrating because I am getting different answers from different wheel shops.

So it appears they will fit with the 20's. I would like to verify the offset if possible.

Does anyone thing the 18's will clear?

Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Big Brakes with Shelby Razors?