Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Strain Gauges On STB?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Default Strain Gauges On STB?

I was thinking about the debate over whether or not the front STB brace is worth it and then was wondering if anyone has actually instrumented one?

It has been a long time since I played with strain gauges at university but could they be used to determine once and for all if the STB actually does anything other than look good and add weight in a bad place?
Old 10-11-2010, 02:37 PM
chrumck
2nd Gear Member

That would be an interesting project.

My company uses strain gauges. I'll look into it
Old 10-11-2010, 03:23 PM
RoadRacer78
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
I was thinking about the debate over whether or not the front STB brace is worth it and then was wondering if anyone has actually instrumented one?
Would a strain gauge work in compression? That is what you would be looking for between the strut towers wouldn’t it?

It could always be set up with a linear potentiometer that ran between the strut towers. It would measure deflection in both directions (compression and “stretch”). And it would also measure “twist”. But it wouldn’t be easy to verify how much is stretch, how much is twist.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:25 PM
chrumck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RoadRacer78
Would a strain gauge work in compression? That is what you would be looking for between the strut towers wouldn’t it?

It could always be set up with a linear potentiometer that ran between the strut towers. It would measure deflection in both directions (compression and “stretch”). And it would also measure “twist”. But it wouldn’t be easy to verify how much is stretch, how much is twist.
Glue-on resistive ones will measure both tension and compression. You can put them on in multiple directions to measure twist too.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chrumck
Glue-on resistive ones will measure both tension and compression. You can put them on in multiple directions to measure twist too.
Can they handle the underhood temps without it affecting the results?
Old 10-11-2010, 06:12 PM
chrumck
2nd Gear Member

Can they handle the underhood temps without it affecting the results?
That might be a tricky part. I'd need to look up the specs. I know for sure they're very sensitive to humidity.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:20 PM
RoadRacer78
1st Gear Member

Cool! What sort of system is needed to collect/read the data? What kind of price range?

I know for sure they're very sensitive to humidity.
Shouldn't be a problem. It's not like the S197's have underhood temps near "Lava" or anything.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:17 PM
chrumck
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RoadRacer78
Cool! What sort of system is needed to collect/read the data? What kind of price range?
I'm not sure about the price. It's an industrial equipment.

I work in a company building specialized foundations and we usually use it here for estimating drilled piles performance. I could 'sneak out' with it for a weekend.

Shouldn't be a problem. It's not like the S197's have underhood temps near "Lava" or anything.
That really depends on sensor specs and compensation algorithms. I'd need to dig to know.

Last edited by chrumck; 10-11-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

An article on strain gauges and how they are used

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strain_gauge
Old 10-11-2010, 09:12 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

It has been a long time since I played with strain gauges at university but could they be used to determine once and for all if the STB actually does anything other than look good and add weight in a bad place?
Would any information gathered really have any relationship with the car's performance? Maybe the handling would be better with a little twist or movement of the towers at opportune times. (i.e. with no STB). Seems to me, if I remember correctly, the general consensus with the 4th gen Camaros, was that there was a performance improvement when the towers were allowed to flex a bit. Of course this could have been due to less weight over the front end also. Probably the best way is to run at the track with both configurations and all your fancy computors and see which produces the better lap times. Unless one is only interested in finding out about rigidity and not about whether the STB produces better performance.

Anyway I'm no engineer, so I'll stand aside and listen to the experts. I have championed the notion of no STB performance gain from my limited research before and been shot down. Maybe I'll get some ammunition this time or be proven wrong. Again.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: Strain Gauges On STB?