Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

H&R SuperSports & Koni STR.T & other options

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Stang613

Hey Sam, I'm just feeling out my options at this point. I'm reading a lot about the Ultra-Lites, and most say that they are pretty harsh. I am sourcing/quoting this thread for ideas here: https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...g-allowed.html ,as it seems like a good resource.

From what I understand the higher the spring rates, the harsher the ride, correct?

H&R Super Sport front: ~250lb/in / rear: ~200lb/in - that seems really firm
Steeda Ultra-lite 1.25/1.5 front: 195lb/in / rear: 175lb/in - pretty firm, considering the height difference.
Tein S-tech front: 174lb/in / rear: 174lb/in - seems more liveable and easier - considering that the stock springs are 136lb/in / rear: 142lb/in.

**Sam, I'm not trying to instigate a fight or anything, just asking questions so forgive me if I seem a bit hard-headed. I'm just trying to find the best setup for my ideal ride**

I do like the idea of Teins (ducks) cause they seem supportive enough, yet supple enough not to rattle my teeth out. Also, I've read that Tein's are supposedly supposed to be delicate enough on the shocks so you won't have to replace them. (From Tein, but I guess thats what they want you to believe, but the spring rates (if I'm interpreting them correctly) seem soft enough for a DD, but good enough in the corners. If they are too soft, then I'll add a rear-sway bar for more handling, if needed.

Keep in mind, I'll be upgrading the wheels sometime with something bigger (FR500 reps - 18x9 & 18x10), so handling would be further upgraded with the wider rubber.

That being said though, wouldn't S-Techs & STR.T's be a good match, considering the Teins' are supposed to be soft enough, without being floaty?

Thanks again for your advice Sam!
Old 11-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Oh boy.... 3 posts to answer. I'll do them individually to address each.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by joihan777
Hello everyone,
I too am looking to improve street performance on my Mustang. Not for racing, just for zipping around with my kids or going to work.

I currently have an 06' V6 convertible bone stock... not even the Pony Package. I am considering The H&R Sport Springs (NOT the Super Sports) in combination with Koni STR.T's (orange). I will be getting some Convertible GT takeoff swaybars and then a towerbrace for V6's. When my current tires get old I'll likely switch to staggered 18" wheels. (Which is one reason I'm probably only going to drop the car 1") Lastly, I'm considering the CAI/tuner/X/H-pipe dual exhaust. I know horsepower is great, but the handling on my baby is ludicrously sloppy! So I'm starting with drivability.

QUESTION: Does anyone have experience with H&R Sport Springs? Preferably with the Koni STR.Ts?

(Stang613 if you go ahead and get a setup lease share your perceptions!)
I don't know if you are looking to lower the car, or think you have to to make it handle better. That is a big question.

I would highly recommend not using OEM bars, they aren't enough really and bars do so much for your handling. You can, that's cheap--but then I'd say you want at minimum GT Coupe bars instead....

Driveability will be most helped with bars and shocks. Springs won't hurt, if you have good shocks to work with them. But remember that springs stiffen the ride and convertibles have a weaker body structure so you introduce a greater possibility of cowl shake and quivering there.

I sell H&R Sports, but again I'd recommend Steeda Sports because they are a known to me. I've used the H&R Sports but it's one that the spring rates are a little up in the air on. Also you can't 100% put stock in some things you see on the web with regard to rates... some are guesstimates, and I've seen some flat out mistakes at various times.

It's impossible for me to know what you are thinking which led you to the parts with any amount of detail in this medium, this is why I always, ALWAYS prefer a person to person discussion as there may be better options, or just reasons to do something different.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DRock
Hey Sam do you think that the new Steeda Extreme Sport Springs would be ok to use with the STR.T's?

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-e...d-mustang.html

Depends on how you view the answer.... STR.T will handle the springs. I feel the springs are too low, and are more looks based than performance based. Remember, a suspension is there to work over bumps. The more you cut into it's ability to more, the less well it works. It's a juggling act between drop and spring rate and what the shocks you might run can deal with.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:19 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Stang613
Hey Sam, I'm just feeling out my options at this point. I'm reading a lot about the Ultra-Lites, and most say that they are pretty harsh. I am sourcing/quoting this thread for ideas here: https://mustangforums.com/forum/s197...g-allowed.html ,as it seems like a good resource.

From what I understand the higher the spring rates, the harsher the ride, correct?

H&R Super Sport front: ~250lb/in / rear: ~200lb/in - that seems really firm
Steeda Ultra-lite 1.25/1.5 front: 195lb/in / rear: 175lb/in - pretty firm, considering the height difference.
Tein S-tech front: 174lb/in / rear: 174lb/in - seems more liveable and easier - considering that the stock springs are 136lb/in / rear: 142lb/in.

**Sam, I'm not trying to instigate a fight or anything, just asking questions so forgive me if I seem a bit hard-headed. I'm just trying to find the best setup for my ideal ride**

I do like the idea of Teins (ducks) cause they seem supportive enough, yet supple enough not to rattle my teeth out. Also, I've read that Tein's are supposedly supposed to be delicate enough on the shocks so you won't have to replace them. (From Tein, but I guess thats what they want you to believe, but the spring rates (if I'm interpreting them correctly) seem soft enough for a DD, but good enough in the corners. If they are too soft, then I'll add a rear-sway bar for more handling, if needed.

Keep in mind, I'll be upgrading the wheels sometime with something bigger (FR500 reps - 18x9 & 18x10), so handling would be further upgraded with the wider rubber.

That being said though, wouldn't S-Techs & STR.T's be a good match, considering the Teins' are supposed to be soft enough, without being floaty?

Thanks again for your advice Sam!

If you lower a car, you are cutting travel available, and yet not cutting the amount of mass sitting on top of the springs. The Tein's rates (if they are correct) are fine enough in the back, but too little in the front, and both are too little for the amount they lower the car. They basically will make the bumpstops more active springs (and it's not abnormal that stops are used, but you don't want to be lying on them). And @ even 1.5" you are pretty much sitting on the rear stops to start with.

Springs are what make a car floaty, that's a lack of rebound damping. And fwiw, here we presumably know the Tein spring rate, and I go back to point out that the setup with those springs and the FRPP's doesn't ride particularly well. Sure the dampers have a lot to do with that, but so do the springs--they aren't unimportant. Just because a spring is "soft" doesn't mean it rides well. You don't want a spring rate any more than is required to do a job, in this case hold the car up, help keep you from riding on the bumpstops, etc., but you also don't want spring that aren't stiff enough either.

Let me give you some perspective. Tein's run a rate about 15% stiffer than stock, but at a huge drop. Most springs you'll find in the 25-40% stiffer range, with some stiffer. The ones on the lower end tend to be a little less low, and as the drop increases the spring rate does as well. That's because the lower you go, the more rate you need. And it's why you see many coil-overs with rates that are way higher than is probably ideal because they don't know you aren't going to slam the car down.

Here's the thing. Anyone will claim their springs are the best. It's the nature of business. The trick is finding out why they think that. I'm no different, but when I make something or choose something I have, and try to explain my reasons. And it's always with a lot of testing before, and often after to compare and contrast things and see what an item is like in as many different situations as possible.

So, no... I don't think Tein's are very good. And every time I've used anything of theirs I wasn't all that happen with it, including full coil-overs. Again, it's a rough call for many as they don't want to believe me. That's ok, but I've had the opportunity to try a lot of different things, and in lieu of them being able to try it all, my helping and explaining my experience is the next best thing. But some want to try for themselves, which is fine if they are open-minded about it. I have to think about what folks want and need, and what works best for them in a number of instances. I can't just slap something on and because I like it, call it good for everyone... which is why, again, I always prefer to speak with folks on a person basis vs. e-mail.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:40 PM
joihan777
1st Gear Member

Thanks Sam. When I get closer to start buying.. I'll definitely PM you. From what I've seen on this forum plus your own personal 'been there n' done that' track record I think I'll pay attention to your advice! (Plus your prices are pretty good!)

Stang 613 good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Old 11-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Stang613

Sam - what about Sportlines & STR.T's?
Old 11-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Stang613

BTW, thanks for your opinion. I'm still searching for something worthwhile lol.

I'll keep your opinions in mind when I drop the cash for my setup! Thanks Sam!
Old 11-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Ok, here's the problem. Anything that low, regardless of the name, and before you get into spring rates and all is an issue. That being you have just severely compromised suspension travel.

You need to decide what's more important. Looks or it working as best it can. Time to prioritize. Eibach Sportlines are another brand I carry. I rarely sell them for the reasons I've been over. And in this case the 2nd reason is the spring rates are unknown, so H&R would get the nod because at least I know what's what. It's tough because an H&R car on stock dampers will work worse than a Sportline on STR.T's and I've never been able to compare both back to back. But anytime I've been in a car that low, even on good dampers I did not like it. A customer had coil-overs and dropped his car down 2"--and I "made him" (as in strongly suggested) he move it back up.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:33 PM
joihan777
1st Gear Member

H&R states the Sports lower the care VERY mildly.... 1" up front and 3/4" in back. Unfortunately their web site failed to document what exactly is the rate#.

The H&R Super Sports decrease height 1.7/ 1.9" F/R... a little too much IMO.

Quick Reply: H&R SuperSports & Koni STR.T & other options