Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

H&R SuperSports & Koni STR.T & other options

Old 11-19-2010, 03:37 PM
Stang613

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Yes, the H&R's will work with the STR.T's, but those springs will ride harder than something less low, less stiff. Firm is different from harsh... those will be quite firm, and are the stiffest/lowest spring I'd try with STR.T's, but also think that given the rate and height Koni Sports would be more suitable.
Still, probably rides a crap-load better than stock, dont ya think? Right now it's pretty wallowy and borderline bouncy. It's in storage right now, so I can't really elaborate on what I mean, but it's controllable. I would believe that anything would be an upgrade.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I think you are confusing ride stiffness with body motion control and they are different things.

I can't be more clear and maybe one of us is missing what the other is trying to get at (again this is why I HATE working by e-mail, a real conversation gets points across much better). Your plan is to put much lower, much stiffer springs on. That's not what you do for ride quality. If you want to tame the roll and "bounce" you look hard are moderate springs, good swaybars, and good dampers. The bars will lessen the roll, the springs will help too, together it makes a big difference but with better ride quality than just a lot of spring rate and little travel. And the dampers slow down the roll and pitch rate, and also the rebound rate so the car feels more tied-down and taut... but they are also better over high-speed (piston speed of the shock, not road speed) bumps so the rear isn't as jittery and skippy as it is stock.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Stang613

OK sounds good. Well in any case I'll be in phone contact with you Sam. I might have some new ideas. I think H&R, etc. are going to be too low for Ottawa roads, so I'll be researching this weekend, and hopefully be able to call you next week.

BTW - is the UMI panhard bar any good?

Last edited by Stang613; 11-19-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:46 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

I've spent some quality time on the phone with Sam and he's great.

It's important to not over-think this set of choices. If you get properly matched springs and dampers, the handling and the ride both become surprisingly good. The advantage to the Steeda Sport springs is that they're a linear rate spring - that means the dampers will match them properly thoughout their full travel, rather than being too hard when the spring is stretched out and too soft when it's compressed.

Originally Posted by Stang613
OK sounds good. Well in any case I'll be in phone contact with you Sam. I might have some new ideas. I think H&R, etc. are going to be too low for Ottawa roads, so I'll be researching this weekend, and hopefully be able to call you next week.

BTW - is the UMI panhard bar any good?
Old 11-20-2010, 08:59 PM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stang613
How does it ride, btw?

It rides great. This was the first car I lowered. I wanted to get rid of the 4x4 look, corner better, and not sacrifice the the ride. It was a success and I def reccomend this combo to anyone looking to achieve the same things. :-)

I have more pictures 42 I think. Instead of posting them here, Ill just post the link to them.

http://www.shotsbyjeremy.com/Cars/Ch...19092330_jcXaD

Last edited by Lv XLR8N; 11-20-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Damn that looks good. You guy have all these great pics of your cars, I never know which ones to put on my website!!!!
Thanks Sam. I have been real happy with the combo!