Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

H&R SuperSports & Koni STR.T & other options

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Stang613

Default H&R SuperSports & Koni STR.T & other options

Hey guys, I was pretty set on obtaining some a set of Koni STR.T`s coupled with H&R Supersports, but I saw this suspension setup from the guys over at SpeedHunters, and I kinda changed my mind.

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2010...-the-pony.aspx

Tein S-Techs on FRPP Struts. How do those compare to the H&R`s with STR.T`s?

Any input would be nice.

Basically, I'm going for a nice dropped, even (not raked) look, but it would be a DD so I would need good driveability, with the ability to hit the corners without hassle.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

I have the STR.T's with Steeda Sport Springs. I have the look your looking for, and the driveability! I bought them from Sam Strano, he is VERY knowledgeable about what works on these cars.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:34 AM
dennisafrompa
1st Gear Member

Second the steeda sports as they drop the rear a little more than the front, which levels the car.

I have them on my '08 Bullitt with Tokoco adjustables. Got them all from Strano.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Hey Stang613.... I got your PM on the other site, but allow me to answer you here where others can see it and maybe pick up some information.

Let me start with the springs. I'm not a fan of the lower "lowering springs" because they just cut too much working travel. I will say that between the two you mentioned, I'd certainly go with the H&R's because at least they are a known in terms of spring rate. However, that said I think they are too low and too stiff for a street driven car. In fact they are so low they compromise the suspension geometry enough that you need to start considering things like bumpsteer kits and the like where a more moderate set of springs will not need those things. And they ride better too. I would certainly recommend (as I did for these other guys) Steeda Sport springs--there are two versions I only use/sell one particular one. If you want to go a little lower, then I'd use Ultralites. If you have to just be further down, then the H&R SuperSport (but that's not the ideal).

Ok, onto the dampers....

There is NO COMPARISON between the FRPP and STR.T dampers. FRPP's ride much harder, and offer nothing like a lifetime warranty. They do have decent rebound control, which is good, but not better than the Koni's, and the ride is much worse for no better performance. The Koni's as I stated, ride a hell of a lot better, while giving good rebound control, and are warrantied basically forever to the original purchaser. I've had and driven on many FRPP shocks/struts. And they are like sledgehammers when the road is not nice and smooth. Hell, we did a swap on a Shelby GT, no other changes and the car rode hugely better driving down my friend's driveway!

In the end, the site you are a looking at does not give a comparison of that Tein/FRPP setup, it only says they like it. Ok, in comparison to what? I like hamburgers, if I hadn't eaten one in a year, *any* hamburger would taste pretty good--but if I tried a lot, chances are I might not think the first one (and maybe only one) I had tried before, was the "best".

Most people don't get to drive as many combinations and setups as I do. Most folks know little about things like spring rates, ride heights, or how dampers work. And those things matter when trying to put together a package that works well for a specific person.

You'll notice they the ride is "not that bad at all" where if you've seen posts from folks here and on other sites that run a better matchup of springs and shocks/struts you find they think the ride often improves (as well as the handling).
Old 11-18-2010, 12:48 PM
HareBrained
1st Gear Member

^^^ Well put Sam.

I'd like to add that (true) adjustability in the shock is a great feature, and worth the couple of extra bucks. It means having to play around a little bit but being able to tune the ride to the roads or the weather significantly increases the joy of having a modded car. The ride of my '03 Cooper was much better with the Koni Sports compared to the stocks.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:35 PM
Stang613

Thanks gents!

Furthermore, now it'll be between the Steeda UltraLites (I'll have to see how low it is) or the H&Rs.

Sam (or anyone), so would either UltraLites or SS's be suitable for the STR.T's? I don't want the adjustable factor really. I will also be buying an Adjustable Panhard Bar (thanks Sam)
Old 11-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Stang613

Sorry for the mass amounts of questions, I'm a noob at Stangs.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Stang613
Thanks gents!

Furthermore, now it'll be between the Steeda UltraLites (I'll have to see how low it is) or the H&Rs.

Sam (or anyone), so would either UltraLites or SS's be suitable for the STR.T's? I don't want the adjustable factor really. I will also be buying an Adjustable Panhard Bar (thanks Sam)
SuperSports are a good bit stiffer and lower than Ultralites are, the stiffer and lower you go, the more rebound control you need to deal with the increased rate and do it in a shorter amount of travel. STR.T's have good rebound damping for Sports and Ultralites, but asking them to deal with SuperSports is getting iffy--and means you need to start to consider Koni Sports (which means about a $350 price jump).

So, long story short--- your best off with Ultalites IMHO if you want to stay with STR.T's.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:30 PM
joihan777
1st Gear Member

Hello everyone,
I too am looking to improve street performance on my Mustang. Not for racing, just for zipping around with my kids or going to work.

I currently have an 06' V6 convertible bone stock... not even the Pony Package. I am considering The H&R Sport Springs (NOT the Super Sports) in combination with Koni STR.T's (orange). I will be getting some Convertible GT takeoff swaybars and then a towerbrace for V6's. When my current tires get old I'll likely switch to staggered 18" wheels. (Which is one reason I'm probably only going to drop the car 1") Lastly, I'm considering the CAI/tuner/X/H-pipe dual exhaust. I know horsepower is great, but the handling on my baby is ludicrously sloppy! So I'm starting with drivability.

QUESTION: Does anyone have experience with H&R Sport Springs? Preferably with the Koni STR.Ts?

(Stang613 if you go ahead and get a setup lease share your perceptions!)

Last edited by joihan777; 11-18-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:39 PM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

Hey Sam do you think that the new Steeda Extreme Sport Springs would be ok to use with the STR.T's?

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-e...d-mustang.html

Quick Reply: H&R SuperSports & Koni STR.T & other options