Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

V6 Susp: Aftermarket vs. Perf Pkg

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 06:37 PM
HareBrained
1st Gear Member

Default V6 Susp: Aftermarket vs. Perf Pkg

So, the basic question is: Is the performance package worth it on a V6 if a majority of the parts are going to be replaced with aftermarket components?

The perf pkg adds (* - replaced component):
- STB
- anti-sway bars *
- "Unique" springs *
- Sport program in electronic stability control (ESC)
- 19" wheels and tires *
- "Unique" calipers and perf pads
- Black Mirror Caps
- 3.31:1 rear axle gears

"Unique" components are reportedly the GT units.

Analysis:
The rear axle can be had independently, for $395, and would be purchased regardless, so it doesn't figure in the decision and is removed from the budget. That leaves the STB, Sport ESC, and GT Calipers as the remaining components from the package. The cost would be $1600 ($1995-$395) without the MCA package or $1100 with it. For that amount of money, it would be easy to get take-off/aftermarket STB and calipers. Which leaves the Sport ESC, is it worth the several hundred left in the budget? Is the ESC something that can be upgraded? Where is the ESC located? Is it a separate module, and do all ESC modes use the same components to sense the car's attitude? Can the standard V6, non-Sport, ESC be turned off (I believe the GT ESC can be disabled)?

I'm assuming the base V6 Premium Coupe already has a rear anti-sway bar, and thus the required mounts. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Note: The Perf Pkg is now required with the MCA package, which may make this analysis moot.

So, does it make sense to buy the performance package if the springs, bars and wheels/tires are going to be replaced?
Old 12-08-2010, 11:01 PM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HareBrained
So, the basic question is: Is the performance package worth it on a V6 if a majority of the parts are going to be replaced with aftermarket components?

The perf pkg adds (* - replaced component):
- STB
- anti-sway bars *
- "Unique" springs *
- Sport program in electronic stability control (ESC)
- 19" wheels and tires *
- "Unique" calipers and perf pads
- Black Mirror Caps
- 3.31:1 rear axle gears

"Unique" components are reportedly the GT units.

Analysis:
The rear axle can be had independently, for $395, and would be purchased regardless, so it doesn't figure in the decision and is removed from the budget. That leaves the STB, Sport ESC, and GT Calipers as the remaining components from the package. The cost would be $1600 ($1995-$395) without the MCA package or $1100 with it. For that amount of money, it would be easy to get take-off/aftermarket STB and calipers. Which leaves the Sport ESC, is it worth the several hundred left in the budget? Is the ESC something that can be upgraded? Where is the ESC located? Is it a separate module, and do all ESC modes use the same components to sense the car's attitude? Can the standard V6, non-Sport, ESC be turned off (I believe the GT ESC can be disabled)?

I'm assuming the base V6 Premium Coupe already has a rear anti-sway bar, and thus the required mounts. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Note: The Perf Pkg is now required with the MCA package, which may make this analysis moot.

So, does it make sense to buy the performance package if the springs, bars and wheels/tires are going to be replaced?
Yes, no and maybe-so. Meaning I have the performance package and I've still been trying to convince myself it was worth it.

Look at it this way. The brake upgrades would cost you quite a bit. Don't know the exact cost but to me it's the one component I see the most value in. So another question is if you remove all of the components you're talking about, springs bars, wheels and tires, could you maybe sell these on ebay to offset some of the costs for different parts. Also if you're going to do springs I assume you're going to do the struts as well correct? Eventually you would need to I think.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:45 PM
HareBrained
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wrxified
Yes, no and maybe-so. Meaning I have the performance package and I've still been trying to convince myself it was worth it.

Look at it this way. The brake upgrades would cost you quite a bit. Don't know the exact cost but to me it's the one component I see the most value in. So another question is if you remove all of the components you're talking about, springs bars, wheels and tires, could you maybe sell these on ebay to offset some of the costs for different parts. Also if you're going to do springs I assume you're going to do the struts as well correct? Eventually you would need to I think.
Yes, I would be replace the struts/shocks but I made no mention because the performance package doesn't change them.

The brakes upgrade of the package shouldn't be too expensive if they are worthwhile, especially if gotten as take-offs (Brembos would be nice.) Obviously, compared to a set of wilwoods or stoptechs, the cost difference would be significant.

Selling the parts would be a way to recoup some cost but not nearly the initial $2k investment, but closer to the $1500 when combined with the MCA package.

On another forum, it was confirmed that the ESC could be disabled, which I find preferable to an "upgraded" ESC. I'm thinking there isn't a reason to the the package if they're just going to be replaced.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:28 PM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

Yes, I would be replace the struts/shocks but I made no mention because the performance package doesn't change them.
Are you certain on this? Every write-up and article done on the PP talks about the front struts, rear shocks/springs. Maybe I've simply misunderstood what I've read about the performance package for 2011 and 2012. If it doesn't include the GT struts then I'm even more convinced the PP is a complete waste. I wouldn't trust the "see details" box on the build your Mustang site. Every description on the site is vague and lacking detail.

This from Ford

I'm thinking there isn't a reason to the the package if they're just going to be replaced.
I think you're making a smart decision. If I was sitting in the dealership and had to do it over again I don't think I would pull the trigger on the performance package. I'd probably go Koni Sports, Steeda Sports and HD Upper Mounts. Sways and probably the FRPP gloss black wheels that look like the Brembo package ones. This setup would cost around $1600, but you would either need to so a self install or pay to have it done. I believe this setup would kill the PP aside from braking, the 3.31 rear end and decent rubber. Add the 3.31 for $400, tires and possibly wheels and brakes $X.XX.

That said that is the one variable (brakes) that I think you would still be hard pressed to pick up for cheap at this point. I could be wrong on this as well but I've scoured ebay for braking packages for the Mustang. The Brembo package take-offs are way too new and rare at this point. A lot of $2000 Wilwood setups setups out there. I haven't many GT components either. Even to get GT take-off calipers, pads and rotors you're going to have to fork over some cash.

So that setup you're at around $2000 without wheels and tires. Add maybe $1000-1500 for a set of wheels and summer tires then brakes, this is starting to get expensive........

EDIT: Forgot about GT500 rear lower control arms and front strut brace.

Last edited by wrxified; 12-12-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:15 PM
1984 anniv

Double check on the calipers. I believe I remember reading something that said the standard GT and V6 base coupe have the same calipers. The only difference with the performance pkg V6 is the actual brake pads are upgraded.

I had the same questions as yourself. I wanted an automatic trans since my other car is a 5speed. I went with the base automatic with optional 3.31 gear. I knew I'd end up replacing most of the suspension components so the performance pkg would not have been cost effective in my case since I'd be taking all of the components off. If you're happy with the 6 speed and don't plan on modding the car then the performance pkg is a good deal because the 19" wheels along would cost the $1999 option price.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:48 PM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1984 anniv
Double check on the calipers. I believe I remember reading something that said the standard GT and V6 base coupe have the same calipers. The only difference with the performance pkg V6 is the actual brake pads are upgraded.
From Ford

2011 Performance Package Upgrades Include
    Old 12-12-2010, 11:45 PM
    HareBrained
    1st Gear Member

wrxified, the article your cite is quite old (predates the construction of any 2011 Mustang) and the information doesn't match the description on the Ford vehicle site when building the car (which is in my first post). I wish it were a true list, the GT500 LCAs would swing the bent toward getting the Perf Pkg.

The standard calipers are different between the V6 and the GT. But by the time I get around to upgrading the calipers, there will be more take-offs, etc. available. I doubt the OEM GT calipers are all that expensive.
    Old 12-13-2010, 12:00 AM
    Doc Hawk
    1st Gear Member

With all the other upgrades, you're already going to be braking MUCH better than stock even before you think about changing calipers. Throw some Hawk pads at it and you might not even need to do calipers, unless you are tracking it.
    Old 12-13-2010, 01:20 PM
    Sam Strano
    Former Sponsor

Cross-posted from another forum where hare also posted the same question:

I certainly don't think it's worth the money if you are planning on doing any changes or want to make the car the way you want anyway.....

I'd order a 3.31 axle, skip the PP.

The 2011 V-6 front brakes are the previous GT's 12.4" fronts, and we all use the same rears.

Ford's damper, spring, and shock combo is easily improved up with better parts.

Unless there is some compelling reason to get the PP. The way it looks, or maybe you want to say race in a limited modification class, I don't see any reason to spend that money that way and feel you'll end up with a better performing car with aftermarket suspension parts.