Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Ugh...wheelhop, kill it with fire!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Did you happen to notice much weight difference between the 7.5 and the 8.8? None of the specs pages I can find go into that much detail.

Norm
I have heard that the 8.8 is heavier than the 7.5. I had to load/unload it into my dad's truck a few times and it's pretty heavy but I can't speak for the 7.5 (told the shop to keep it). But any extra weight is negated by the t-lok and gears imo. Car is noticeably faster with the 8.8/3.73s/t-lok
Old 01-03-2011, 05:42 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I wasn't looking at axle weight with respect to performance here.

Axle weight would have some effect on the axle's hop mode frequencies.

Norm
Old 01-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I wasn't looking at axle weight with respect to performance here.

Axle weight would have some effect on the axle's hop mode frequencies.

Norm
Ohh gotcha. Well I would think since the 8.8 is heavier (apparently) that the extra weight would keep the wheels planted more. I personally think it has something to do with both wheels having power and traction... I'm curious if guys with really good tires/DRs/Slicks have a lot of wheel hop. Basically what I'm getting at is that wheel hop is potentially intensified because both wheels now are fighting for traction if I really get on it from a dead stop.

Last edited by Alec; 01-03-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:24 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Alec
I personally think it has something to do with both wheels having power and traction...
Probably true. Any kind of limited slip diff will allow for unequal drive forces on the two drive wheels, and a vibration associated with the axle steer mode is then at least theoretically possible.

Norm
Old 01-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
LCA's can indeed help a ton with wheelhop... but so can just lowering the car (if you were so inclined anyway).

As for what type of LCA's. Well, I sell mostly UMI and Steeda. Between them there is every style and type, including some types that BMR does not offer. In the interest of full disclosure I do not sell BMR products and I personally never will as I do not much like their business practices.

I can't say they won't work--though certain types do certain things better. I'd be happy to discuss the differences and options with you if you like. Just give me a call.
I was looking at LCAs and some were universal, while others were V6 or GT specific. Is there a difference?
Old 01-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

LCA's can indeed help a ton with wheelhop... but so can just lowering the car (if you were so inclined anyway).

As for what type of LCA's. Well, I sell mostly UMI and Steeda. Between them there is every style and type, including some types that BMR does not offer. In the interest of full disclosure I do not sell BMR products and I personally never will as I do not much like their business practices.

I can't say they won't work--though certain types do certain things better. I'd be happy to discuss the differences and options with you if you like. Just give me a call.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

There is no difference..... the LCA's are the same regardless (unless someone is building a cheaper, lighter version for V-6 guys as a marketing/pricing ploy).
Old 01-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
There is no difference..... the LCA's are the same regardless (unless someone is building a cheaper, lighter version for V-6 guys as a marketing/pricing ploy).
That's what I was thinking
Old 01-03-2011, 03:21 PM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

Well, I think any plans for LCAs went out the window today as some old man without insurance decided to sideswipe my focus which I only have liability on.

Bent the wheel, destroyed the outer tie rod end, trashed the rack, and twisted the strut. No body damage besides a busted off passenger mirror and it broke the clips that hold the bumper to fender.

Happy friggin new year.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:07 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smokinAMD
Well, I think any plans for LCAs went out the window today as some old man without insurance decided to sideswipe my focus which I only have liability on.

Bent the wheel, destroyed the outer tie rod end, trashed the rack, and twisted the strut. No body damage besides a busted off passenger mirror and it broke the clips that hold the bumper to fender.

Happy friggin new year.
Damn I'm sorry to hear that. At least you're ok

Quick Reply: Ugh...wheelhop, kill it with fire!!!!