Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Ugh...wheelhop, kill it with fire!!!!

Old 12-31-2010, 06:21 PM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

Default Ugh...wheelhop, kill it with fire!!!!

Or money, whatever the case may be.

As the title states, I'm having wheel hop and while it may charm the ladies, it isn't doing anything for me. Any liberal application of the skinny pedal brings on more *** shaking than a pole at the local strip joint. Its REAL bad when its wet out.

My car right now has steeda sport springs and koni sports (yellows), along with a BMR adjustable panhard bar and brace. I'm also running OEM GT500 tires, so 285/40/18 Goodyear eagle F1 supercar tires out back. Tires grip like white on rice when its warm and dry out, so part of the issue may be due to the tires not liking cold weather. However, I can still wheel hop in the summer time with these tires if I'm driving the car the way its meant to be driven.

The logical thing to me would be to throw a set of LCAs on it and see where that gets me, I was wondering on if I should get the relo brackets though, and if I got the relo brackets if I would need to get adjustable LCAs or not. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the purpose of the relo brackets is to keep the rear end from squatting down further during launches, correct? Also, I'm at a loss on if I should get the relo brackets welded or not.

One thing I need to consider though is that my wife said she'd buy me a set of swaybars for christmas, I just need to figure out which ones to get. If I'm not mistaken, some swaybars won't work with the relo brackets due to clearance issues? I know this is a separate issue, but I don't want to spend money on something if it's not going to work with future parts.

As of right now, I'm looking at BMR for LCAs unless someone can tell me a good reason not to.

I've got it narrowed down between 2 at the moment.

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/index.c...&productid=159

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/index.c...&productid=156

What benefit would the more expensive ones give me. I know they'd give me a little more noise due to having bearings versus bushings, but that's really a non issue, I'm more curious to what an extra $70 gets me.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

There's a pretty big discussion of wheel hop currently running here. There are other threads in this Handling forum and in the 2005-up main forum about it, since this isn't an isolated problem.

Toward the end of it, I offered the sequence of mods that I would follow, with the idea being to make the least amount of modification that fixes the problem rather than just blindly throw every part in the book at it.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-01-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:28 PM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

I appreciate the input.

I have a feeling LCAs would help my situation a lot, but I'm not sure which ones would work best for me. I'm really interested in the two BMR ones, but I was curious to what other peoples feelings were about those.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I've noticed significantly worse wheel hop after I installed the 8.8 rear. Gonna have to look into some LCAs
Old 01-01-2011, 06:32 PM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

I have the BMR poly/spherical LCA's and they stopped all my wheel hop. I love them. They make a bit more noise than the stock ones did but it really isnt that much. My car is a DD and i have no problem with the noise. With the windows down or the radio on you CAN NOT hear the noise that the new LCA brings.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:31 PM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

Ok cool. Question though, is it bearings on one end, and then bushings on the other?

And if so, which end do the bearings go?
Old 01-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Cowboy01

I have the Sam Strano bars on my car with the UMI relocation brackets. No clearance issues but I had to reverse the bolts on the bars. Also it takes a little extra work to adjust the rear bar with the relo. brackets.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:05 AM
DRock
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by smokinAMD
Ok cool. Question though, is it bearings on one end, and then bushings on the other?

And if so, which end do the bearings go?
Correct

Bushings on the body side, Bearings on the axle side.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:53 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

I have these LCA's and love them. Just installed LT's and Brenspeed tune today and really thrashed on the car to "test" it out.

I can burn 1st, 2nd and scratch 3rd gear now. Not a single bit of wheel hop at all. Not bad for $100-115 and about 1 hour of install time (if you loaf around)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Spohn...Q5fAccessories

also have their adjustable UCA and adjustable Panhard...but for you, you only need the LCA. Unless you track the car, there is no point in getting all fancy with LCA Mounts and such. Especially since they are supposed to be welded on
Old 01-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Alec
I've noticed significantly worse wheel hop after I installed the 8.8 rear. Gonna have to look into some LCAs
Did you happen to notice much weight difference between the 7.5 and the 8.8? None of the specs pages I can find go into that much detail.

Norm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ugh...wheelhop, kill it with fire!!!!