Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Upgrading via Sam Strano or full Griggs GR40 SS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 12:08 AM
trz06

Default Upgrading via Sam Strano or full Griggs GR40 SS?

I am taking delivery of a 2011 GT500 SVTPP on Friday, and while I know SVT did a good job on the SVTPP, I want the ultimate in cornering, while at the same time having a smoother than stock ride and the ***-end planted and composed on un-even pavement with the suspension loaded up (like on a on/off ramp sweeper) oh, and I want the rear-end to hookup with the power that Ford gave it. Wasted power in burnt rubber is just such a waste and disappointing, I want 0-60 times like the GT350 is getting.

I know this isn't a GT500 specific section, but I figured I would reach a broader audience here.

The Griggs set-up claim to fame is the torque arm, which according to articles I have read is the biggest factor in being able to put the power down and do away with the rear sway bar (unless needed for fine tuning), both in a straight line and accelerating out of the apex in a turn.

It seems that the two things that Griggs does compared to others is the Torque Arm and relocating the rear shocks to a true coil-over design. Other then that, everything else that Griggs does can be done with bolt-ons (LCA, coil-over shocks, bushings all around, and camber/caster plates)

Sam, I would love to hear from you on this.

Also, anybody else please chime in.

Last edited by trz06; 01-05-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Of course you are going to get a biased answer.

If you take a look on my website you can see some in-car video of a Mustang, and that video shows g-data. You can see quite high numbers, also watch me drive the car, and see that it's far from a mess. The numbers are gotten on Hoosiers, but Griggs also uses Hoosiers. But in all the video of Mustangs currently on the site, I'm doing it on stock sized wheels, and with much less invested into the suspension.

I'd never add a Torque Arm, regardless of brand. It's heavy, and what's worse it adds a lot of unpsrung weight too. And fwiw, a TA is not somehow a replacement for a rear swaybar. I've very familiar with torque arms, and quite frankly if I could swap my Camaro over to a 3 link easily, I would. It's more compact and the upper arm does the same job, keep the axle from rotating around.

I don't particularly see the need to reinvent the wheel here...

Struts aren't so bad either... they seem to work pretty well on M3's and Porsche's. And the front end on this car is very BMW-esque if you take a close look at it.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:22 PM
trz06

True, some struts are good, but coil-overs are always better.

I had KWV2 on my 335i and they were a lot better then the stock struts on my M3.

I am not looking for pretty good. I am looking for, knock your socks off, kick-*** handling
Old 01-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

You've already misunderstood me. If you want coil-overs, that's fine we have coil-overs. Coil-overs are still struts on the front.

I'm not sure what I can say to convince you.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:28 PM
trz06

Sam,

I'm just gathering info. I only want to do this once. It's the only mod I plan on doing to thR car.

I just want something spectacular, worldclass, and professional, that will keep up with Porsches and the like.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:38 PM
trz06

I have driven in a Griggs car and it is awesome, just wondering if the same can be achieved with less NVH and without the extensive modifications that they do.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:45 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I think you'd be surprised what we can do.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:47 PM
trz06

Sam,

I don't want you to take offense and I'm not asking you to justify anything,

I am looking for technical information, why one is better then the other and how/why what works to achieve my goal.

I have no experience with Mustangs
Old 01-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

I'm not taking offense. What to you want to know? I think it's pretty plain that if I can pull similar numbers on similar tires but smaller wheels, and spend less money doing it that it's a pretty good setup.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:45 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

we need a shootout. Griggs equipped car vs Sams setup!

Quick Reply: Upgrading via Sam Strano or full Griggs GR40 SS?