Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

Hot to eliminate body roll?, Better bolstered seats?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Import_Slaya
2nd Gear Member

Before I got fixed back seats and a 6-pt harness, I tried the CG lock. While it was better than the stock setup alone, there is a better and cheaper option. A FREE option!

1. Slide your seat back.
2. Grab the shoulder belt and give it a quick, short snap to lock it.
3. Hold the tension on the belt to keep it locked and now slide your seat forward.
4. Keep moving the seat forward--you want to keep going until you really get smushed into the seat.
5. Done. If you really crammed yourself in there, that will hold tension while you are on the track.

It takes a few tries before you know how far back you have to slide your seat, so that when you jam yourself in you end up in your preferred driving position. Once you get this, put a small piece of black electrical tape as a marker on the center console to make it an easy routine in the future.

In all honesty, this method is probably 75% as effective as having a fixed back seat and harnesses. The only downside is that at the end of a track weekend, your hips and left shoulder will be a little tender.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

All the tricks for locking a belt isn't close to a proper seat. And a Recaro vs. a race seat is just another step beyond. I often have to run with a stock seat (in stock classes) and I've run CG Locks, lap belts, at times full harnesses (only for autox that's not safe in a stock seat for street or track). There is no comparison to a good seat, can't say anywhere close to 75%.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

For what it's worth, this same thread was posted on another site. My first response was deleted, and I was "talked" to. Apparently it's a no-no to actually point out inconsistent statements made by other vendors and ok for them to get my posts deleted for it.

Do yourselves a favor, ANYTIME you want answers from vendors... do the old-fashioned thing and call them (me included) and talk things over and see what you learn from each--and go with the one (whoever that is) that does the best job for you.