Notices
S197 Handling Section For everything suspension related, inlcuding brakes, tires, and wheels.

C&D Lightning Lap 5

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 03:35 PM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

I agree that from what I've seen and read a 2011 GT with Brembos is a close enough match to a new M3 that the driver and tires are what makes the difference.

Now if you want to see a Mustang chasing a fast car here is my brother driving my car chasing a Nissan GTR which is a really fast car!

http://www.youtube.com/user/frederic...27/8iS5UBK3phw

This is before putting the R-comps and Koni yellows on my car.

Last edited by Sleeper_08; 01-20-2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: oops - add link
Old 01-20-2011, 04:45 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

where?
Old 01-21-2011, 07:27 PM
M3hunter
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sleeper_08
I agree that from what I've seen and read a 2011 GT with Brembos is a close enough match to a new M3 that the driver and tires are what makes the difference.

Now if you want to see a Mustang chasing a fast car here is my brother driving my car chasing a Nissan GTR which is a really fast car!

http://www.youtube.com/user/frederic...27/8iS5UBK3phw

This is before putting the R-comps and Koni yellows on my car.
Nice drive, your brother he really was hanging in the curves, just on the straight he was left behind. He was driving a 2008 Mustang GT?
Old 01-21-2011, 07:52 PM
M3hunter
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
By being a better driver :-) The cars are equal enough that the better driver will win.

I drive a C5 Vette on the track. At Summit Point last spring I had a 5.0 on my tail and could not shake him, and I was trying hard. It was stock except for R-comp tires. Later in the season I was on track with a new M3. I was taking it somewhat easy and saw him creeping up on me as the laps went by. So I put the hammer down and left him. I'm not sure what tires he had on but to me the biggest difference was the driver wasn't as good.
Well I left behind by a long distance a C5 Vette that really looked that it was fully modiffied and also beated a Mustang GT I believe it was an '08-'09, he was following somehow close but could not pass me, on a straight I left him behind, I was driving a '02 Carrera with a slighly modiffied suspension (sport H&R springs, Bilstein HD shocks and sport Porsche fixed bars), most of the time where very tight curves. Now I replace that car for a '11 GT Brembo w/. 3.73 gear, I hope that I can give a good fight in my local Porsche Club where we race in a private airport track. But first I think I will need to change those shocks and springs for something better..
Probably my '11 GT will not be able to be a match to a '08 Z51 Corvette or the Grand Sport. I hope at least I'm able to give a fight with the 911, Cayman and recent M3's. At least that is my expectation after reading the article on Motortrend (GT VS M3).
Old 01-22-2011, 06:51 AM
Sleeper_08
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by M3hunter

Nice drive, your brother he really was hanging in the curves, just on the straight he was left behind. He was driving a 2008 Mustang GT?
A "slightly modified" 2008 GT. My sig has most of the mods on the car except back then it was on D-specs and the KDW2s.

He also has about 10,000 laps around Mosport.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:36 AM
5 Dot 0
2nd Gear Member

Great discussion guys, it's nice to hear first hand experience from members who have owned other cars.

Nobody mentioned aerodynamics, isn't the M3 more slippery than the 5.0 and might this have an impact at the high speed VIR track?

I'm expecting the Boss to knock 5-6 seconds a lap off of the 11' 5.0 and the LS to drop another second or two for just over/under a three minute lap. The LS comes stock with the R compound tires so that will be the biggest difference over the Boss. And maybe the LS with the smaller front splitter will be faster at VIR. I hope C&D runs both the Boss and LS next year. I can't imagine Ford not giving them both cars to run.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

I doubt that the M3 is that much slipperier. It may develop more down force than the GT (let's make that "less lift," since very few cars have real aerodynamic down force). Better weight over the rear wheels could definitely explain the time difference. Excellent thought.

We might see 5-6 seconds from the Boss LS. Stiffer suspension paired with wider R comp tires are bound to help, but the splitter might be worth more at VIR. I don't think the splitter is road legal, do you think C&D should allow it?

I'm pretty sure you can buy the Boss adjustable suspension from FRPP as a package. Does anybody have experience with it? Do we know how it would compare to Steeda sports and Koni yellows?
Old 01-22-2011, 06:48 PM
5 Dot 0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ansibe
We might see 5-6 seconds from the Boss LS. Stiffer suspension paired with wider R comp tires are bound to help, but the splitter might be worth more at VIR. I don't think the splitter is road legal, do you think C&D should allow it?
Good question. It comes with the car just not installed. It wasn't crash tested that's why it's not on the car. Not sure what the right balance of downforce vs. drag is at VIR but wouldn't less drag be an advantage at VIR for a street car? Those tires only have so much grip.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Ansibe
2nd Gear Member

I've never actually driven VIR, but I'm guessing that aero is the dominant factor in the climbing esses. A little aero lift at 110 mph on a slightly over-sprung (imo) rear suspension while trying to maintain max cornering will probably get your attention in the worst way! The M3 was very stable at those speeds, but I never really went for it up there. Apex speed at Mosport's turn 8 is about 90 mph, that's about the fastest I've been near the tire limit.

I'm guessing downforce has more affect than drag VIR. The track cars seem to support that (ariel atom, ktm); there not very fast, but they sure are quick.

Last edited by Ansibe; 01-22-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:13 AM
M3hunter
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ansibe
I've never actually driven VIR, but I'm guessing that aero is the dominant factor in the climbing esses. A little aero lift at 110 mph on a slightly over-sprung (imo) rear suspension while trying to maintain max cornering will probably get your attention in the worst way! The M3 was very stable at those speeds, but I never really went for it up there. Apex speed at Mosport's turn 8 is about 90 mph, that's about the fastest I've been near the tire limit.

I'm guessing downforce has more affect than drag VIR. The track cars seem to support that (ariel atom, ktm); there not very fast, but they sure are quick.
In my personal opinion, aerodinamics will play an important role above 80 MPH. In my past '02 carrera. The rear wing was designed to lift after reaching that speed. The Top Speed of my car based on known magazines was 177 MPH. Once I tried to see the Top Speed of my car, and after 155 MPH, I could feel the front part lifting, after I installed a front lip spoiler I was able to reach 165 MPH, the car feel very tight to the road and stable, I could go higher very easy, but I just let go the accelerator. Later on after several rubbing of my front lip spoiler in some inclideed driveways, when I tried to do the same stunt, I brooke the front spoiler at 145 MPH under the high wind pressure.